Cal State Fullerton guard Khalil Ahmad earns second Big West Conference Player of the Week award

In Sports, Top Stories
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball guard Khalil Ahmad earned his second Big West Men’s Basketball Player of the Week award of the season after putting up 22 points against Cal Poly and 31 points at UC Davis.

The junior completed 70.4 percent of his attempts from the field, 50 percent of his 3-pointers and only missed one free throw over the two-game stint.

His heroics against Davis earned Ahmad recognition in the Big West, but also a spot in CSUF men’s basketball history. Ahmad joined 23 Titans in the 1,000-point career scoring club.

Aside from his gaudy point total against the Mustangs on Thursday, Feb. 8, Ahmad got his hands on one steal and dished out four assists. He credited his teammates and coaching staff with the all-around performance, after they motivated him to look for ways to get involved without scoring due to his recent struggles.

Ahmad only scored 13 points in his last three game appearances, making five of his 27 tries from the floor and connecting on one of his 11 three-point attempts.

“Being aggressive and staying locked in and finding something little to do to spark my game. I was trying to play hard, get my hand on a couple passes and rebound the ball to get the ball rolling,” Ahmad said.

His field goal percentages in the games against Davis and Cal Poly rank as his two highest of the season.

In the win over Cal Poly, Ahmad converted all five of his free throw attempts, the ninth time he’s been perfect from the line this season.

The guard’s last Player of the Week award came after an offensive rough patch as well. Following nine points against Harvard and five in a win over Cal Lutheran, Ahmad collected 24 points at Portland and a career-high 34 at Utah Valley.

The Titans will look to rally behind the strong play of Ahmad in their next game against Cal State Northridge on Saturday, Feb. 17.