Cal State Fullerton students exposed to potential careers in engineering and computer science

In Campus News, Local News, News
(Brian Alvarado / Daily Titan)

Hopeful Cal State Fullerton students had potential careers at their fingertips on Thursday, as 29 different companies filled the Titan Student Union Pavilion for the Spring 2018 Engineering & Computer Science Fair. The four-hour event drew a barrage of 600 to 700 students, with some lines extending to the outside of the venue.

The annual fair allowed students to interact with companies face-to-face, receive resume advice, overall knowledge of what to expect in the workforce and for some students, a foot in the door.

“It’s more about networking rather than trying to find positions. I want to get to know their names and make sure that their values for the company are the same as mine,” said Nelson Luong, a computer science major who attended the fair.

Luong, who hopes to become a cybersecurity specialist after college, said it’s important for job candidates to be professional and to take advantage of time with the recruiters by asking for resume pointers.

(Brian Alvarado / Daily Titan)

Marshall Taylor, a computer engineering major, also came to get his name recognized by workforce recruiters. Graduating in the spring, Taylor gave positive feedback on the event because of the experience and interaction between scouts and employers.

“It gives students the opportunity to actually talk to recruiters. Kind of hone their skills for when you go to an interview. What I need to think about when I’m in front of someone that actually has my career in their hands,” Taylor said.

Besides the students in attendance, former Titans returned to their home school, but this time as part of companies like Google, Thales Avionics and the Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering.

John Weber, who received a degree in computer science in 2015, was situated at the Google booth. Weber is now a software engineer for the technology company.

German Li was also in attendance and spent time interacting with current students. He graduated from CSUF in 1995, also with a degree in computer science. Li now works as a principal software engineer for aerospace company Thales Avionics, which manufactures inflight entertainment systems.

Dominick Esposito, a civil engineering associate for the Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering, finished his undergraduate program in 2012 at CSUF. The alumnus found his position through the same job fair and came back, but this time on the other side of the booth.

Krystyl Nottage, events, marketing and social media specialist, coordinated the event and said the job fair is open to all majors. The school still takes care of its Titans even after graduation, she said.

“Even when you’re alumni, it’s free for you to come back,” Nottage said.

She said this event was a solid opportunity for students to at least get a feel for what the future may hold for them, regardless of class level.

“It’s a great networking opportunity. You can find out what they’re hiring for even if you’re not ready to graduate now. But in the future you want to work at that company, so then you know what to strive for,” Nottage said.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.