Cal State Fullerton tennis sweeps the court at the Fullerton Invite

(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

Since the start of the 2018 spring season, Cal State Fullerton tennis has fallen only once in a match. The Titans continued their winning streak after they cinched two wins at the Fullerton Invite Feb. 9 through 11.

The Titans blowout 6-1 win over Grand Canyon University and 4-1 victory over San Jose State pumped their record up to 5-1, adding another point to their now four-game win streak.

The Titans’ early success has not come by chance.

Titans Head Coach Diane Matias has been with the program for over four years, and after leading her team to the Big West championship in 2017 for the first time since the program was founded, the Titans don’t want anything less this season.

With its undefeated record gone early in 2018, CSUF has a fierce band of competition lining its roster.

Duo Sarah Nuno and Karla Portalatin, now 14-2, tacked on two more wins in their four-game win streak over the weekend after taking down San Jose’s Sybille Gauvain and Miyo Kobayashi 6-2.

Fullerton’s most decorated tennis athlete Alexis Valenzuela made a return to the team for the 2017-18 season. Although, this time, Valenzuela would not suit up for any matches as she was named a volunteer assistant coach in November.

With the help of Titans new and old, CSUF is off to a promising start in conference play, holding on to a 1-0 record after claiming its first conference play win against UC Riverside.

The Fullerton Invite was a short halt to conference play, but the Titans will return to Big West action when they host Cal State Northridge on Friday Feb. 16 at 1:30 p.m.