CSUF softball pitcher Taylor Dockins spun her way into a Big West Pitcher of the Week award

In Sports, Top Stories
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

CSUF softball freshman pitcher Taylor Dockins entered the program with a long list of accolades from her high school career and is now adding Big West Pitcher of the Week to her collegiate resume.

“It feels amazing. I’m just out there on the field doing what I need to do and having fun with my team and I wouldn’t have gotten anything without my team behind me,” Dockins said.

The 5-foot-5-inch athlete made her debut as a Titan when she took over the pitcher’s circle during the Titan Classic against Rutgers on Feb. 9, the pitcher allowed three hits and no runs in her six innings on the mound.

Dockins has been a starter in six games and has seven total appearances in the 14 games Fullerton has competed in.

She has made only one error in her 34.1 total innings pitched. Dockins has allowed only 14 runs off of 33 hits, giving her an earned run average of 2.24. She leads the team in innings pitched and has completed three games so far.

“Her composure out on the field is like none that I have ever seen. There’s not a situation that kid can’t handle,” said Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford.

Against UC San Diego, the Titans closed the game in five innings after Dockins pitched a no-hitter for an 8-0 win.

She is the first Titan since 2013 to throw a no-hitter and became the 57th athlete in program history to achieve this feat.

“I was just out there playing my game and I knew I had a job to do and beat San Diego, and I couldn’t be any more thankful,” Dockins said.

Though the award acknowledges the achievements that the freshman pitcher has earned, it also allows her to reflect on what she must continue to work on.

“I know what to expect of these big teams and I know they’re going to come out with hot bats, but I just need to keep them off balance and trust my pitches,” Dockins said.

This award not only gives Dockins a confidence boost but it also acts as a source of motivation for the entire squad and their record for the rest of nonconference play.

“We’ve been having some losses but we’ve been fighting back as much as we can, and I think
it’s just going to get bigger and better from here,” Dockins said.