CSUF students blame lack of parking availability and sleep for being late to class

In Campus News
(Anita Huor / Daily Titan)

Tardiness, while not a phenomenon, is an issue at Cal State Fullerton like any other university.

First-year health science major Guadalupe Salas and transfer biology major Danielle Rosales both say they typically arrive tardy to a class at CSUF around two or three times a month.

Both of them commute to campus and cite car trouble as the main reason they sometimes fail to arrive on time. Common issues like their cars failing to start and accidents on the freeway are occurrences that make them prone to lateness.

“There was an accident on the freeway and they closed off a lane or two. That backed everybody up and took and extra fifteen to twenty minutes,” Rosales said.

CSUF English professor Joanna Matuszewski said students who arrive tardy to her class often explain that they fell asleep in their car while waiting for parking.

With just over 7,000 parking spots at CSUF and over 40,000 students, finding a place for parking can be a struggle. Largely a commuter campus, some students wake up earlier than needed and arrive to campus an hour or more before their classes start to find a spot.

The issue of parking is a prevalent problem for the university, but can also mean a loss of sleep for some students.

Matuszewski said that often, students resort to taking morning classes that leave them with little time between work and school. That small window for sleep might not be enough and waking up late can become a risk.

“Sometimes I’ll assign something or collect homework at the beginning (of class), and if (students) come in late, they miss turning that in and might forget,” Matuszewski said.

To ensure she would make it to class on time, Salas said the biggest thing to focus on was planning. Figuring out what to wear the night before, going to sleep at a reasonable time and carpooling are the best ways to be prepared, she said.

The empty lot of city land that could be the potential new home for the Pathways of Hope Keystone Project.

Pathways of Hope proposes Keystone project to city council to reduce homelessness in OC

Pathways of Hope, a local nonprofit organization, has created the Keystone project in an effort to combat homelessness specifically

Joanne Ferchland-Parella one of three finalists for associate vice president position

Joanne Ferchland-Parella is one of three finalists for the open position of associate vice president for University Advancement —

Pecic working in a lab.

Cal State Fullerton welcomes new tenure-track professor

Cal State Fullerton’s College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics grew this summer after welcoming professor Stevan Pecic, Ph.D., to