CSUF Tennis has win streak snapped against Loyola Marymount University

(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton tennis had high hopes for the 2018 season after it established a four-game win streak one month since it started swinging through its new list of opponents.

But the winning momentum they had against Cal State Northridge didn’t last long this weekend when the Titans dropped the ball in a close 4-3 loss against Loyola Marymount University on Feb. 17.

CSUF started off its weekend on a positive note after managing a 4-0 win in its second conference match of the season against Northridge.

The Titans were able to protect home court when they took the lead in two of their three doubles matches.

First court duo Sarah Nuno and Karla Portalatin came out with a 6-1 victory against Northridge’s Elisa El Hadj and Alicia Dinkelmeyer.

Despite Nuno and Portalatin setting the pace for the Titans, second court duo Genevieve Zeidan and Masako Makiba dropped their match 6-3. However, the third court duo Caisey Lee Emery and Luxizi Meng were able to dominate the court and come away with a 6-4 win, giving CSUF a 1-0 lead.

Singles play gave the Titans their biggest advantage when Nuno, Zeidan and Portalatin came away with wins in their matches to earn CSUF three points and a 4-0 win for the day.

Coming away with a dominant end to their first match of the weekend, the Titans increased their winning streak to five games before facing the Loyola Marymount Lions.

But their streak quickly ended when the Titans dropped two of their three doubles matches to give the Lions a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.

Loyola Marymount proved to be a stiff competitor as both teams seesawed between wins and losses in the singles matchup.

With singles play tied 3-3, the result of the close game came to light when Makiba’s final fall to Loyola Marymount’s Sofiya Gaisina broke the deadlock, bringing the final score to 4-3 and an end to the Titans win streak.

The Titans will have a chance to redeem themselves when they travel to the courts of San Francisco State on Saturday Feb. 24.

A recycling center for used batteries located in the Titan Student Union.

Cal State Fullerton collects used batteries for recycling

Cal State Fullerton has a system for the collection of batteries, which are processed and then taken to a

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out