DACA’s future is uncertain due to disagreements over immigration reform

In Campus News, Local News, National News, News, State News
(Anita Huor / Daily Titan)

The deadline to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals is quickly approaching but Congress and the White House have yet to agree on a bill to protect undocumented immigrants.

As of January 2018, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has resumed accepting DACA renewals until an undecided date because of a federal court order.

Congress has until March 5 to pass immigration reform after President Donald Trump rescinded the program in September 2017.

Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Chris Coons, D-Del., introduced a bill Monday that would give permanent legal status to DACA recipients who have been in the U.S. since 2013 and begin to strengthen security along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“While reaching a deal cannot come soon enough for America’s service members, the current political reality demands bipartisan cooperation to address the impending expiration of the DACA program and secure the southern border,” McCain said in a press release.

However, the measure does not give immediate access to the proposed $25 billion spending budget for construction of the border wall.

“Any deal on DACA that does not include STRONG border security and the desperately needed WALL is a total waste of time,” Trump tweeted Monday morning.

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., tweeted her own response to Trump’s dismissal of the bill, when she said the White House has taken the “wrong” stance on protecting the undocumented.

The McCain-Coons bill is similar to the Uniting and Securing America Act introduced by Reps. Will Hurd, R-Texas, and Pete Aguilar, D-Calif., in the House.

At his first State of the Union address Trump announced a 12-year-path to citizenship for over 1.8 million DACA recipients. There are currently over 800 undocumented students at Cal State Fullerton.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.