Nature exhibit showcases photography at the Fullerton Arboretum

In Art, Arts & Entertainment, Features
(Brian Alvarado / Daily Titan)

Captured moments of nature take the limelight at the Orange County Agricultural and Nikkei Heritage Museum.  

With a plethora of framed photos hanging on a vibrantly lit wall, “Natural Wonders: An exhibition of fine art photography featuring flora, fauna and beautiful landscapes” highlights photos of nature taken by 37 Orange County photographers in the Fullerton Arboretum.  

The showcase features work from local photography clubs and groups like the Huntington Beach Art League and the Photographic Society of Orange County.

Even though the museum opened on Feb. 2, over 270 still visitors walked through the gallery Saturday, acknowledging the different types of photography that range from long exposure photos of water, to detailed shots of animals and flowers.

Frequent visitor of the Fullerton Arboretum Janice Osborne of Stanton heard about the exhibit through a message on Facebook. Her love for nature brought her to the museum to see for herself.

“I love nature so much, be it the desert or the beach, or animals or plants. It’s very important to preserve all that for future generations. We can’t let it be destroyed,” Osborne said.

The aesthetic aspect of the exhibit brought in photographers. The gallery documents how the art form has transformed over the years and how artists have more control over what they can capture and how they can improve the final product.

(Brian Alvarado / Daily Titan)

Janice Osborne’s husband John Osborne, a mechanical design engineer for Eaton Corporation, also accompanied her to the exhibit and took interest in the evolution of photography.  

“Photography has always captured life, even from the beginning. Now, it’s all digital. You could do a lot of things in the camera that you used to have to do in the darkroom,” John Osborne said.

Robert Wallace, 55 and retired, has been shooting on and off for ten years. He came to the arboretum to take photos and decided to come into the museum to stay updated on other photographers’ work in the area and which ones he should follow.

Wallace said he is a fan of the hobby for the satisfaction that comes with shooting. He dislikes how technology has altered the process of how a photo is produced.

“With all the phones out, of course, it’s changed significantly. It’s taken a lot away from the old cameras that we all like to use. Once you get a good picture of that, you earned it. You worked for it instead of just picking up a phone and doing whatever,” Wallace said.

All of the photos featured in the gallery are up for sale until the exhibit closes on March 25.

A photo of a bald eagle mid-flight at Dutch Harbor in Unalaska, Alaska was taken by Huntington Beach Art League’s Daniel Kee; one of a few photos priced at $200.

The gallery also featured a photo by Kirk Pickler, who is a staff member in the art department at Cypress College. His photo of wildflowers in the Carrizo Plain was priced at $100.

The exhibit, which is free of charge and open to the public, is open Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from noon to 4 p.m.

Christian Maqueda strikes a ballerina pose on a table at CSUF.

CSUF student Christian Maqueda discovered a passion for dance through his involvement with high school color guard

To most, color guard is a spectacle before sporting events, but to Cal State Fullerton junior Christian Maqueda, it’s

Letter to the Editor:The Abrupt Dismissal of Clem Guthro as Dean of the University Library

I address this letter to the members of this university and its governing body with great concern in the