Trendy food posts on Instagram are an eyesore

(Amanda Tran / Daily Titan)

Dear Instagram Foodie,

I’ve seen your posts for a while now, from sushi doughnuts to rainbow bagels to just about any food that screams “hip” or “cool.” Sooner or later (preferably sooner) this will have to come to an end.

For the sake of your friends — not just those random followers, just stop. At least for a while. Not only are these foods incredibly overhyped, but it’s depriving people of something that fundamentally connects everyone, a love for food that tastes better than it looks. It’s getting to the point where those posts are actually making me hate food.

After taking a photo, the magic is lost. It has to get eaten, which turns out, may not be as fun or delicious as expected.

You’ve even admitted that a lot of these foods have been a major disappointment. Mermaid toast is really dry because, well duh, it’s burnt bread with cream cheese. Avocado burgers also look colorful and creative, but are basically impossible to eat.

For other foods, the quantity just becomes too much of a good thing. Ice cream, which is meant to be a sweet treat, becomes milkshake monstrosities — an overindulgence of epic proportions with millions of toppings such as cake slices, doughnuts, sprinkles, cookies and gummy bears. At this point, it’s just a wall of food.

This may come across as a harsh dose of reality, but I’ll break it to you gently — artsy food isn’t the most practical or best tasting.

The problem isn’t always with the food — chefs put forth innovative designs, and within good reason, they sometimes keep their new creations.

The dilemma lies in how you’ve reacted to it; it’s become a part of your life that’s uncontrolled, a habit that simply can’t be stopped. Your obsession with food is consuming you!

You may feel like that trendy new place needs everyone’s immediate attention, or that popular Instagram food is just too delicate to eat, but that doesn’t mean it has to be shared with the world every single time you sit down at a restaurant. Instead of encouraging others to try new food, you’re creating an impersonal and awkward experience for those around you.

It ends up taking way too long to find the right photo, and your face is almost never included. It may be aesthetically pleasing, but when your account has just a bunch of photos of food and nothing else, it’s my duty as a loyal friend to be concerned.

The long distances you’ve traveled to find these places and the sum of money you’ve spent to establish this lifestyle is excessive.

You’ve become so lost in the visual appeal of things, whether its rolled up ice cream or unicorn drinks, that your food experiences are purely based on the visual artistic abilities of the product, not the actual quality. It ruins the point of trying these new creations in the first place.

Food doesn’t have to be beautiful to taste good. Hummus may be a funny beige color, but it tastes pretty good. Actually, the same can go for just about any food that’s not the most bright or vibrant color.

Trendy food may be visually appealing, but if your food choices are based solely on what the food looks like, then you’re losing a chance to experience food in the way it should be — by yourself or with friends, not through a camera lens.

Eating food is meant to be an intimate experience where your taste buds are bursting with joy and pleasure. Food doesn’t always need to be posted online. If it’s solely for that purpose, then my friend, you’ve lost the true joy of food, and I’m sorry for that.

Sincerely,
Your #1 unfollower

The Pasillas family, father and sons, pose in front of their workspace for the Rialto Printing Company.

Voices from Home: The Pasillas family represents their city with the Rialto Print Company

Few people are aware of how much thought and time is put into a T-shirt design, but what began

An electric vehicle charging station at CSUF.

CSUF to add more electric vehicle charging spots on campus

As part of a statewide goal, Cal State Fullerton plans on adding more electric vehicle parking stations in an

The crowd looks forward to the Levitt Pavilion anticipating an Anderson .Paak performance.

Anderson .Paak holds charity concert for Brandon Anderson Foundation

“Yes lawd!” yelled hundreds of people in the crowd as Anderson .Paak took the stage on Saturday at MacArthur