Rick Vanderhook keeps CSUF baseball playing up to its own expectations

(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

The decorated coach has created a name for the team, prompting D1baseball.com to rank it the ninth-best program in the country.

Recognized for his coaching achievements, Vanderhook was named as one of the assistant coaches for the 2017 Collegiate National Team. He was able to help the team achieve a 15-5 record over the summer before returning to prepare the Titans for the season.

Fullerton understands the work ethic its head coach expects from his team, especially if they can’t come out victorious in friendly games against Titans baseball alumni.

“The current team is usually supposed to win. When the alumni team wins, Hooky is not so happy,” said outfielder Chris Prescott.

The bond that Vanderhook has with his team can be seen through the communication that led them to the 6-3 win over the alumni and the nicknames that each athlete has given him.

This attitude has come from Vanderhook’s adaptive coaching over the years. He maintains a “tough love” coaching style which has proven to be a success given the accolades of the last six years. However, he focuses most on what would help his team learn necessary skills on a deeper level.

“You need to be a little more subjectable as you go through stuff. So they can see it and read it and do it more than just seeing it and doing it, seeing and doing it,” Vanderhook said.

The Titans are set to travel for their season opener against Stanford University on Feb. 16.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel / Courtesy of Amazon Studios

Review: “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” reaches new heights

The social conservatism in New York during the 1950s only makes Miriam “Midge” Maisel much more marvelous as she

(Danielle Evangelista / Daily Titan)

NCAA disapproves of Marijuana usage for rehabilitation purposes

For student-athletes in college, the ability to use marijuana as a way to help heal themselves during the course

Concept art for new virtual reality experience coming to College of the Arts.

College of the Arts plans to convert a student hotspot into Virtual Reality room

The Department of Visual Arts cell block nestled between animation classrooms 185 and 189 in building E has not