What violence awareness means for the Cal State Fullerton campus

In Campus News, Local News, News

“I feel like it doesn’t matter how or what happened to me … I don’t want that to happen to someone else,” said Cal State Fullerton student Ana Vargas, opening up about her experience with sexual assault and violence.

Vargas, a fourth-year human services major, was part of the WoMen’s and Adult Reentry Center booth on Titan Walk Wednesday, which supports and educates students on topics such as sexual assault, domestic violence and stalking.

“I did have some post-traumatic stress. It was like your self-esteem lowers down and you go through a lot of issues, more than how the other person faces consequences,” Vargas said.

This was just one of the booths that was set up for Violence Awareness and Prevention Day. University Police, Emergency Management and Counseling and Psychological Services were also present to showcase the services they offer on campus.

Initially the event was focused on active shooter type scenarios. Sue Fisher, emergency management coordinator, wanted to bring awareness to what it means to be safe and prepared on and off campus.

“I think people need to know what to do when they’re faced with a really terrible situation. Sometimes that happens in a very small space within themselves or sometimes it’s in a large venue, like what happened in Las Vegas,” Fisher said.

Seventeen people were killed by a gunman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida on Wednesday.  

Dakota Ball, from Keep OC Safe, came to CSUF to promote the organization’s mobile app that helps keep the community safe. It gives Orange County citizens a walk-through on how and when to report questionable activity properly.

Keep OC Safe is a localized version of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s public awareness campaign “If You See Something, Say Something,” which prompts people to report suspicious activity to authorities.

There have been instances where people use this app or they just know that if they see something out of the ordinary like an unintended backpack or something, that it could be something pretty dangerous,” Ball said.

Fisher wants to educate students on available resources to keep themselves safe and encourage them to speak out when they see something that doesn’t look right.

CSUF women's basketball forward Amiee Book waits for a free throw attempt.

Family fuels Amiee Book’s passion of basketball

Ranked second in the Big West in 3-point percentage, international student and CSUF women's basketball freshman forward Amiee Book

Cal State Fullerton women's basketball senior guard Jade Vega dribbles the ball during Cal State Fullerton's women's basketball game against Cal State Northridge.

CSUF women’s basketball looks to snap six game skid

CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their six-game losing streak Thursday night when they host UC Santa Barbara.

A comprehensive map of CSUF campus with bubbles highlighting the crime locations.

Crime on campus in the month of February

Crime activity on campus in the month of February includes a missing person incident, marijuana possession, public intoxication and