Staying up late to study for midterms can be detrimental to the sleep schedules of students at Cal State Fullerton

In 2018 Health Issue, News
(Amanda Tran / Daily Titan)

As week six of the spring 2018 semester comes to a close, midterms are fast approaching and for some, it means adjusting schedules by pulling all-nighters.

Over a thousand CSUF students sought help from Student Wellness in Fall 2017 to manage their sleep schedules and learn about self-care, said Katy Johnson, a peer health educator for TitanWell, in an email.

Young adults ages 18 to 25 need an average of seven to nine hours of sleep in order to properly function throughout the day, according to the National Sleep Foundation.

However, students often disregard the average hours they need for rest so they can accomplish the many tasks they have to tackle throughout the day. The hours lost can accumulate and lead to sleep deprivation.

Effects of sleep deprivation include excessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue, clumsiness, weight gain and loss. Other negative effects that can develop are an increase in moodiness, hunger and higher risk of diabetes and depression.

Ashley Landa, a first-year business major, is taking five classes this semester with her earliest at 7 a.m. As the president of the Hip Hop Heads club at CSUF, Landa said she’s had her sleeping schedule significantly thrown off.

“Lately, it’s been really bad,” Landa said. “Today, I slept at 2 a.m. and woke up at 5 a.m. because of a test I had at 7 a.m.”

During finals week, the Pollak Library and the Titan Student Union are open 24 hours a day. Even though the open availability of the school resources can be a benefit for busy students, some argue it enables a culture in which students prioritize studying over proper sleep.

Johnson said that pulling all-nighters for finals is not healthy for college students, especially before big exams.

“Sleep helps with memory and recall, so when you’re pulling those all-nighters, it actually has a negative effect on your performance and academics,” Johnson said.

She said common practice for college students is studying on beds, which can cause one to fall asleep or start to associate their bed with stress and studying instead of a place to rest.

“Now you’re not able to sleep and sleep is what’s going to help you in the long run,” Johnson said.

The protagonist in Suspiria, Susie, uses hypnosis to make her way into a ballet school.

Review: New thriller ‘Suspiria’ isn’t your typical ballet film

Thom Yorke of Radiohead debuts in his first soundtrack for director Luca Guadagnino’s remake of 'Suspiria' Although this film

Veterans Resource Center’s cuts the ribbon to a new location at their grand opening.

Veterans Resource Center cuts the ribbon to new location

The transition from the military to school wasn’t easy for Student Veterans Association President Amy Thrunson, but with Cal

Front doors of the Hello Kitty Cafe.

The Hello Kitty Cafe brings the Irvine Spectrum to life

Sanrio characters and the smell of baked goods fill the Hello Kitty Grand Cafe, a new feature at the