Cal State Fullerton softball prepares for doubleheader against CSU Bakersfield

In Softball, Sports
Titans outfielder Ari Williams dives for a fly ball before it hits the ground.
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

After two doubleheaders and four losses over the weekend, Cal State Fullerton softball will attempt to stop the bleeding as it prepares to face CSU Bakersfield on Tuesday, March 20.

In March, Fullerton has played only home games. However, there hasn’t been much success at Anderson Family Field. The Titans received their fair share of losses against a wide range of competitors who lead NCAA standings.

CSUF’s most recent 14-3 blowout loss against No. 5 Oklahoma brought its overall record down to 12-17.

In previous matches, Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford said the team is working on its overall performance at the plate and fielding. But following its turnout at the Easton Invitational, Fullerton finds itself having to go back to the drawing board.

Despite tacking on more losses, Ford said the outcomes of the next few games will prepare the team for the games that matter: a chance to at Big West conference championship.

“This is our version of March Madness and everything we’re doing now in March is to prepare for conference,” Ford said.

The Titans are five games away from starting conference play, and Ford said the team is ready to take any chances to boost its regular season record, starting by approaching its matches with a relaxed mindset.

“There’s not a lot of physical adjustment we are going to make. It’s rest and really come with a fresh mind,” Ford said.

Although the Bakersfield Roadrunners are only 2-19, the team has power hitters on its roster.

Outfielder Julea Cavazos leads the way for the Roadrunners with 19 hits from her 54 at-bats this season. Cavazos also leads the team in slugging percentage (.389).

CSUF boasts a similar statistical leader with infielder Shianne Brannan who has 16 hits in her 59 at-bats.

Overall, the Titans hold a .377 slugging percentage with  721 appearances at home plate. Fullerton has 208 hits and holds a .376 on base percentage.

Fullerton will have a chance to show off these statistics when it begins its home doubleheader against the Roadrunners at 4 p.m.

Amanda Chacon contributed to this report.

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions