Candidates for ASI president and vice president bring experience from all across CSUF to 2018 election

Associated Students, Inc. president and vice president candidates speak at the Sports Clubs Inter-Club Council meeting on March 9, 2018.
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

Three pairs of Titans have thrown their hats into the ring of the ongoing election to become the next Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) president and vice president at CSUF.

The first pair is fourth-year communication studies major Josh Borjas running for president and fifth-year advertising major Ana Aldazabal as his vice president.

ASI president candidate Josh Borjas addresses the Sports Clubs Inter-Club Council.
President candidate Josh Borjas. (Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

Borjas is a first-generation college student who has prior experience with ASI as a College of Communications representative on the board of directors. He is also associated with the Sigma Pi fraternity and as a campus tour guide, according to the official candidate guide.

His running mate is a transfer student who advocates for undocumented individuals and the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival community. She was president of the Diversity Resilience Education Access Movement Co-Operation in fall 2017, according to the guide.

“We want to use my network that I’ve developed up and down California, the Midwest and the east coast to bring the best ideas to this campus,” Borjas said during a presentation for the Sports Clubs Inter-Club Council (SC-ICC) on Friday.

Third-year economics and communications major Celine Moubayed and third-year public relations major Colin Eacobellis are also running for president and vice president, respectively.

ASI president candidate Celine Moubayed and vice president candidate Colin Eacobellis address the Sports Clubs Inter-Club Council.
Vice president Colin Eacobellis (left) and president candidate Celine Moubayed (right). (Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

Moubayed currently serves as the chief communications officer for ASI. She has worked outside of her major department as an assistant in the College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics, and also as a tutor in the Mihaylo College of Business and Economics, according to the official candidate guide.

Eacobellis is the president of the Interfraternity Council and sits on the Pi Kappa Alpha executive board as the fraternity’s sergeant-at-arms, according to the guide.

“We’re here for you, we’re your face-to-face candidates. We want to hear what you have to say,” Eacobellis said during a presentation for the SC-ICC on Friday.

The third pair is third-year entertainment arts major Kaetlyn Hernandez running for vice president alongside presidential candidate and fourth-year health science major Kelly Zarate.

ASI vice president candidate Kaetlyn Hernandez addresses the Sports Club Inter-Club Council.
Vice president candidate Kaetlyn Hernandez. (Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

Zarate has been involved with CSUF’s student government since her freshman year, according to the official candidate guide. She has served as a Orientation Leader for incoming students, the Chief Campus Relations Officer and worked as a co-director for the ASI Street Team alongside her current running mate, Hernandez.

On top of her time with Zarate on the ASI Street Team, Hernandez also worked for Camp Titan, the Titan Pride Center and the Freshman Student Association, according to the guide. She is currently the Titan Tusk Force administrative director.

“One of our big goals is to make the executive boards and all of the student leaders on campus more accessible and more approachable,” Hernandez said during a presentation for the SC-ICC on Friday.

This election does not just encompass the president and vice president positions, as candidates are also running for positions on the ASI Board of Directors and the Titan Student Centers Board of Trustees. A full list of those running can be found on the ASI website.

CSUF students can still cast their votes until 8 p.m. on Thursday at vote.fullerton.edu.

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,

One pumpkin has the same medicinal benefits as supplements from the pharmacy.

Here’s why pumpkins are the superfood of the fall season

Despite the Southern California sun, fall is in full swing and the pumpkins are here to stay. Although this

A police bus blows smoke on the site of the maze.

The 17th Door provides thrillseekers in Fullerton with hair-raising maze

The 17th Door in Fullerton is easy to miss; the only thing leading thrillseekers in the right direction is