Clem Guthro is no longer Dean of the Pollak Library at Cal State Fullerton

(David Marshel / Daily Titan)

Clem Guthro’s employment as Dean of the Pollak Library  at Cal State Fullerton came to an abrupt end Friday evening.

At 3:18 p.m. Friday, Donna Rader of Fiscal Services at the Pollak Library informed some library staff that Guthro is no longer working for the library, according to communications via the work messaging application Slack.

“Sadly, I have no details as to why,” Rader said in her message.

Shortly after Guthro was dismissed, Kari Knutson Miller, vice president for academic affairs, sent an email at 4:32 p.m. to the library faculty and staff saying Karyn Scissum Gunn, associate vice president for academic operations, will serve as a temporary library lead for a short period of time.  

Knutson Miller did not name Guthro in the email or offer a statement on his departure.

At the time of this publication, the president’s office has not responded to an email request for comment.

In the email, Knutson Miller called the library’s faculty and staff to a meeting with Scissum Gunn on Monday morning in PLN-130 to answer or address questions or concerns.

“When a campus administrator is away from the work site for more than one work day, or in the absence of a delegated campus executive, an executive in charge is identified,” Scissum Gunn said in an email. “(My position) is expected to be short term as needed by the university.”

Guthro was Dean of the Library for just 11 months. On March 30, 2017, Guthro assumed the position following a nationwide search that concluded in December 2016. Before then, Guthro served as the director of libraries at Colby College in Waterville, Maine.

His departure comes just as the south wing of the Pollak Library first floor had reopened after sustaining earthquake damage in 2014.

“Part of my goal is to get the whole building to a place where we have engaging spaces,” said Guthro at the time. “Since we have such a diverse campus and diverse group of students, this is a wonderful way to highlight and showcase those cultures, but also make the library a welcoming, safe and inclusive space for all students.”