Convenience of Student Recreation Center at CSUF promotes physical and mental health

In 2018 Health Issue, Lifestyle
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Inside the Student Recreation Center everyone has a different set of fitness goals. Whether there to shoot some hoops or set a new personal record in the weight room, everyone is there to take care of themselves.

The SRC offers more than just a place for students to go workout. It is a place to relieve stress from heavy workloads of homework and a place to improve physical and mental health.

Being a student and having time to go to the gym can be tough. But with heavy homework loads, long class hours and a job, Stipe Markotic still finds time to use the SRC about twice a week due to its close location and free membership for students. He also uses the gym at his work at least three times a week.

“It’s important to exercise. I think by keeping your body healthy, you take care of your body, and it takes care of you,” Markotic said.

For many, the SRC is convenient. Brandon Watson, a CSUF freshman, lost 70 pounds last year by committing to a workout regimen that includes attending the SRC and his local 24 Hour Fitness, while maintaining a healthy diet of eating non-GMO foods. Watson said he always finds time for the gym despite his focus on school.

“If you get a routine, it shouldn’t take time. It’s just consistency. So if you want it bad enough, you’ll make it happen,” Watson said.

He said it shouldn’t take more than 45 minutes to an hour in the gym with a solid plan going in. Watson is committed to his fitness journey and hopes to lose another 15 pounds.

The SRC is accessible to more than just CSUF students. Jose Miguel Ramos is an international student from El Salvador and a business management major at Fullerton College. He uses the SRC because he lives across the street from campus and it is the most accessible for him. Ramos paid for an SRC membership by applying through the Alumni Association.

Ramos said he enjoys going to the SRC because he likes surrounding himself with the CSUF atmosphere. Hoping to transfer in the near future, Ramos uses the SRC as a way to adapt to campus life. He said he visits the SRC about three times a week and spends his time playing basketball. If he has extra time, he lifts weights, but he ultimately just wants to be active to perform better both mentally and physically.

Despite spending four hours studying in the library, Markotic still makes sure to get in a workout.

When Markotic knows that he is going to have a busy day with little time to work out in the evening, he will wake up as early as 4 a.m. so he can ensure that he gets in some exercise.

“I don’t think it should be skipped just because you don’t have a lot of time and to do something else,” Markotic said.