CSUF baseball catcher Daniel Cope named Big West Field Player of the Week

In Sports, Top Stories
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

After a standout performance in the Titans’ most recent series against the Oregon State Beavers, Cal State Fullerton baseball catcher Daniel Cope earned his first collegiate award as the Big West Field Player of the Week.

Cope’s accolade in the Big West conference is the first for the program this season. However, he’s choosing not to bask in the recognition.

“It’s an honor to win this award, but the goal is to win series and we didn’t do that,” Cope told Cal State Fullerton Sports Media.

Fullerton stepped foot on Oregon State’s field ready to snap streaks, and with Cope’s recent performances, the Titans have been slowly chipping away at their losses.

CSUF opened the series by giving Oregon State its first loss of the season, ending the longest home-winning streak in college baseball. In the same game, Cope snapped Beavers pitcher Luke Heimlich’s streak of 21 games started without surrendering a home run.

Three of Fullerton’s five home runs this season came off of Cope’s bat, who also boasts a .500 slugging percentage and a .413 on-base percentage.

Cope’s home run and one RBI allowed the Titans to come out with a 5-3 victory over the No. 2 team in the nation, but although CSUF wasn’t as successful in the rest of the series against the Beavers, Cope was just as lethal in his fielding.

He recorded 21 putouts throughout the course of the weekend without any errors to keep the series close.

Although the catcher is dominating his plate appearances, Cope said the award is just a small part of the big picture.

“The individual accolades are always great, but I’m just trying to do everything I can to help this team win. That’s what this is about,” Cope said.