CSUF baseball clinches series over Grand Canyon University with game two win

In Baseball, Sports
Mitchell Berryhill swings at a pitch
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

CSUF baseball secured its first series victory at home this season with a 10-2 stomping of Grand Canyon University on Saturday.

Pitcher Tommy Wilson contributed greatly to the Titans rout of the Lopes. He made his first career start and tossed seven innings, allowing only one run and seven hits while retiring eight batters.

Grand Canyon was first to get on the board, taking a 1-0 lead in the top of the first after Quin Cotton singled up the middle, bringing home Austin Bull.

Both teams went quiet throughout the second and third innings but the Titans secured their win in the bottom of the fourth.

CSUF upped its slugging percentage in the inning by hitting a double, a triple and a home run. With bases loaded, Jake Pavletich hit a line drive to left field and brought in teammate Daniel Cope.

A single up the left side from sophomore shortstop Sahid Valenzuela brought in teammate Hank LoForte. Chris Prescott tripled to right field, earning 3 RBIs and taking the score 6-1.

To close out the innings, Cope doubled to right center field and the Titans ended the fourth inning with a six-run lead.

The seven-run inning turned out to be the Titans’ highest-scoring inning of the season thus far.

LoForte recorded his first career home run in the fifth inning to increase Fullerton’s lead to 8-1. In the seventh, infielder Brett Borgogno recorded his third hit of the night, bringing LoForte in and raising the score to 9-1.

Grand Canyon didn’t let the eight-run deficit discourage them. Ian Evans singled to center field to bring home teammate Nate Gawelko and cut the lead to seven in the top of the eighth.

CSUF scored its final run in the eighth inning when Jairus Richards doubled down the right field line to bring home Jordan Hernandez.

Fullerton will play the final game of the series at Goodwin Field on Sunday, Mar. 18 at 1 p.m.

A photo of Rami Perlman giving advice to CSUF's Music Industry club.

Space Yacht entrepreneur group gives industry advice to CSUF students

Space Yacht, a Los Angeles events collective, was invited by the Cal State Fullerton Music Industry Club on Tuesday

CSUF women's basketball forward Amiee Book waits for a free throw attempt.

Family fuels Amiee Book’s passion of basketball

Ranked second in the Big West in 3-point percentage, international student and CSUF women's basketball freshman forward Amiee Book

Cal State Fullerton women's basketball senior guard Jade Vega dribbles the ball during Cal State Fullerton's women's basketball game against Cal State Northridge.

CSUF women’s basketball looks to snap six game skid

CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their six-game losing streak Thursday night when they host UC Santa Barbara.