CSUF baseball looks to continue winning streak against rival Long Beach State

In Baseball, Sports
Titan pitcher Dillion Brown begins to throw the baseball to the batter.
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton baseball will face off against rival Long Beach State in a three-game weekend series starting March 23.

The Dirtbags (8-13) will arrive at Fullerton coming off a 10th inning loss to Loyola Marymount on Tuesday. The last time these two teams met was in the 2017 Super Regionals, when the Titans ended the Dirtbags’ season with a 2-1 victory and advanced to the College World Series.

“I think we owe Long Beach something. They probably think they owe us something, but it should be a fun weekend,” said Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook.

The Titans have played better since entering March, winning seven of their last 10 games.

“It’s been so nice. The start for us was so rough and the hardest part was that we knew we had the talent to win ball games, we just weren’t showing it. So now that we’re able to show everything we’ve got, the ball just keeps rolling and it feels really good,” said outfielder Jairus Richards.  

The Dirtbags have won only a single game on the road. However, the Titans haven’t been great at home, with a 5-4 record at Goodwin Field.  

One of the keys to the weekend series will be plate discipline. The Dirtbags’ pitchers lead the Big West with a total of 192 strikeouts. However, the Titans are disciplined as they hold the third fewest strikeouts in the Big West.

Long Beach infielder Jarren Duran has successfully stolen seven of eight attempted bases this season, and also leads the Dirtbags in hits and runs scored.

Lately, the Titans have been in control of the plate, and one reason for their surge is because of freshman infielder Brett Borgogno, who comes into the series with a with a four-game hitting streak. In the four-game streak he has .429 batting average.  

As conference play approaches CSUF is looking to continue to build momentum starting with Friday’s game against Long Beach. First pitch is at 7 p.m. at Goodwin Field.

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind