CSUF baseball records its first sweep of the season after a 2-0 victory against Grand Canyon University

In Baseball, Sports
Sahid Valenzuela high-fives his teammate
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

CSUF baseball recorded its first series sweep of the season with a 2-0 victory over Grand Canyon University on Sunday.

“We just changed our mindset. It’s about having a will to win and this weekend we developed it so we’ll see where it goes from there,” said Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook.

The Titans were the first to make it on the scoreboard on Sunday. In the bottom of the third inning, left fielder Chris Prescott grounded out to first base to bring home third baseman Brett Borgogno.

Fullerton increased their lead 2-0 after center fielder Mitchell Berryhill scored off a single from right fielder Ruben Cardenas in the bottom of the fifth.

The rest of the game went scoreless as both the Titans and the Lopes recorded four combined hits after the fifth inning. Vanderhook said his team pitched well during the game.

“It’s exactly the way we drew it up last night when we decided who was going to pitch. One guy will go as far as he can and the next will come in then we’ll bring in Brett (Conine) for the night,” Vanderhook said.

Tanner Bibee tossed 4.2 innings and allowed only four hits after facing 20 batters. After Bibee, Blake Workman stepped in and pitched 3.1 innings, giving up two hits to 12 batters. Conine sealed the deal for the Titans, closing out the game.

CSUF’s toe-to-toe performance at Oregon State and this series win gives Bibbee and the rest of the team confidence going forward.

“It’s huge for morale especially going into conference. I feel like our team chemistry is at an all-time high right now. At the beginning of the season we were so scared of losing that we got tight. Now, we’re playing to have fun and we’re winning,” Bibee said.

As the Titans inch closer to conference play, they aim to focus on everything pertaining to their play.

“All you can do in this game is try to get a little bit better everyday. It’s a marathon and we’re not even past the first quarter of it. I’m not worried about the finish line, I’m worried about tomorrow,” Vanderhook said.

CSUF baseball continues its eight-game homestand with a game against University of San Diego on Tuesday, March 20 at 6 p.m.

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions