CSUF baseball takes one game away from No. 2 Oregon State but is unable to secure the series

In Sports, Top Stories
Mitchell Berryhill swinging at a ball
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

CSUF baseball played a three-game series against No. 2 Oregon State University this past weekend and took a 1-2 loss against the Beavers.

The Titans are now 3-4 against the Beavers all-time, playing one series in 1977 and one game in the 2017 College World Series.

Game 1

Sophomore Sahid Valenzuela was the hero who cemented the 5-3 upset over Oregon State. In the bottom of the ninth, Valenzuela hit a two-out RBI single to secure a win at Goss Stadium.

The Titans handed the Beavers their first loss (13-1) of the season and believed that game put the team on track to success.

“Things are clicking and I think we’re coming together and things are going good for us right now. So, hopefully we can keep it going tomorrow,” Valenzuela told Titan Sports Media.

Fullerton headed into the final inning of the game tied 3-3 until junior Hank LoForte drew a walk and advanced second after a wild pitch in the next at-bat. Valenzuela then hit the game-winning knock to bring LoForte home.

Offensive powerhouse and outfielder Ruben Cardenas pushed a Beaver win out of sight with a hit that brought in Valenzuela and took the score to 5-3.

Defensively, pitcher Brett Conine earned his second save of the year after throwing a shutout inning in the bottom of the ninth.

“They’re a good team but so are we,” Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook told Titan Sports Media. “The guys took good at-bats and kept their poise in a very hostile environment. At the same time, it’s one win and we’re not going to get too high on it. We need to keep getting better.”

Game 2

The Titans couldn’t keep the momentum up as the Beavers evened out the series 1-1, shutting down Fullerton 6-4 in the second game. Oregon State buried the Titans early by scoring three runs in the second inning and one in the fifth.

Despite the loss, the highlight of the game came from outfielder Chris Prescott, who recorded his first career home run on a 3-run bomb that tied the game 4-4 in the top of the sixth.

“I was just looking to get a good pitch and put a good swing on it,” Prescott told Titan Sports Media. “I was fortunate to get the barrel on it.”

With a comeback in sight for Fullerton, Oregon State scored two runs in its next appearance at the plate and held the lead to close out the game.

Game 3

Fullerton’s late-game push was not enough to overcome the deficit it faced, falling 5-4 in the final meeting of the series.

The Beavers wasted no time putting the Titans down 5-1 after scoring four runs in the first inning and one in the fourth. Although both teams ended up with five hits, Oregon State was able to squeeze out one more run than Fullerton.

First baseman Jace Chamberlain’s career-high three RBIs came in the fifth and seventh innings. Prescott scored twice, tying his season high.

CSUF now holds a 4-10 record this season. The team will return home to Goodwin Field on Friday, March 16 to start its season-long eight-game homestand in a series against Grand Canyon University.

Jared Eprem contributed to this story.

Panel members talking on gun control.

CSUF faculty and staff share thoughts on gun control

The Titan Student Union became a safe space Wednesday for public opinion on the topic of gun control as

Louis C.K. on stage, under spotlight, with nobody in the audience

The return of comedian Louis C.K. must not be supported

Comedian Louis C.K.’s surprise return to the stage doesn’t deserve the applause it received.   Louis C.K admitted to accusations