CSUF baseball extends winning streak to four games with victory over USD

In Baseball, Sports, Top Stories
Tyler Lasch rounds third for home
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

After sweeping Grand Canyon University over the weekend, CSUF baseball added to its winning streak, beating University of San Diego 9-3 on Tuesday.

The Titans scored their game-clinching runs in the seventh inning with bases loaded. Pinch hitter Jairus Richards hit a ball down the middle of the field, bringing in two runs. Later in the inning, center fielder Mitchell Berryhill hit another ball in the same place allowing two more runs, increasing the Titans lead 7-3.

Richards said they watched footage of the pitchers right before the game to gain an edge on the Toreros.

I felt very comfortable in that at-bat,” Richards said. “The first swing I took on that 0-2 pitch was crazy for sure, so I had to settle back in and make sure I get the job done.”

Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook also said Richards looked comfortable with the bat in his hands.

I thought he was calm at the plate. I thought he did things the way he should do them and he had a big hit,” Vanderhook said.

Toreros pitcher Nicola Mislinski made an error late in the eighth that led to two more runs stretching the Titans lead 9-3.

With this win, the Titans have now won seven of their last 10 games.

“We’re playing pretty good baseball, finally. It’s been a while since we’ve played good. It’s the first time all year and we’ll see what goes on,” Vanderhook said.

CSUF baseball will head into a three-game nonconference series against rival Long Beach State starting Friday, March 23 at 7 p.m.

Richards, who has not matched up with the Dirtbags yet in his career, is excited to see what the series brings.

“I think it’s going to be a good series,” Richards said. “We both have a bunch of good arms and a bunch of good players, too. It’ll be interesting to see.”

Leo Torrez and Caleb Gibson standing next to each other smiling for 'The Importance of Being Earnest' by CSUF

CSUF Theater Review: ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ delightfully revisits Oscar Wilde’s classic

CSUF’s “The Importance of Being Earnest” lets audiences indulge in Oscar Wilde’s classic, serving up sunny melodrama and mishaps,

Flags are in the background. A silhouette of a soldier faces a person protesting.

OPINION: Israel’s response to weekly border protests was justified

As Israel approaches its 70 years of independence as a democratic Jewish state, it faces a weekly threat from

CSUF musician and student Apollo Hill poses for a portrait on campus.

CSUF student and musician Apollo Hill hopes to lift up Asian-Americans in the music industry

Hip-hop singer and Cal State Fullerton student Paolo Ombao, better known by his stage name Apollo Hill, said it’s