CSUF Crime: Student arrested under suspicion of assault with a knife

exterior of university police department building
(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

University Police arrested a Cal State Fullerton student outside the Kinesiology and Health Science building under suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon on March 8.

Chase Vaughn Marhoff, 21, was booked into Orange County Central Men’s Jail under suspicion of assaulting a student with a knife on the corner of Nutwood Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue, said University Police Capt. Scot Willey. Marhoff was released the next day.

mugshot of Chase Marhoff
Chase Vaughn Marhoff (Courtesy of University Police)

“At about 3 p.m., a CSUF student came into the (University Police) lobby saying he was assaulted with a knife. He got into an argument, a guy pulled out a knife and put it to his throat,” Willey said.

The student told University Police that two skateboarders, Marhoff and his brother, hit his car outside University House Fullerton. Willey said the student drove north on Commonwealth Avenue toward Nutwood Avenue and, at the corner of College Park, confronted the brothers from his car before the two approached the student’s vehicle and stood on it.

During an argument between the student and Marhoff, Willey said Marhoff went up to the car window and held a knife to the student’s throat and threatened him.

“(The student) gave us really good descriptions of the two males and our officers started saturating the campus looking for these two guys. The officer was able to find them and they detained them right away,” Willey said.

Based on the descriptions from the student and a witness, the brothers were detained outside the Kinesiology and Health Science building. An officer found a knife on Marhoff after a search was performed on them, Willey said.

After the student and witness both independently identified Marhoff, his brother was released because he didn’t commit a crime, Willey said.

An alert was not sent out to campus because University Police located the brothers in a timely manner.

The initial incident happened in the Fullerton Police Department’s jurisdiction but the University Police handled the case because they had the situation under control, Willey said.

The case will be sent to the Student Conduct office, where Marhoff can possibly be charged with a felony, Willey said.

“It was over and done very quick. We were very happy to have him in custody. The unfortunate part is the suspect was also a CSUF student,” Willey said.  

For more coverage of CSUF crime visit our dedicated page.

Obama Awards recipients wait to receive their awards at the event on Saturday.

Orange County Young Democrats celebrate victory with Obama Awards

Triumphant cheers filled the air as Orange County Democrats, including Gil Cisneros, 39th District congressman-elect and Priya Shah, instructor

A woman from the Tree Society drives a wheelbarrow full of tree parts down a dirt path.

Voices from Home: The Huntington Beach Tree Society plants trees for the community

The city of Huntington Beach often brings to mind a picturesque coastline landscape tucked close to suburban life and

Headshot of Fullerton Police Chief, David Hendricks who resigned on Friday.

Former Fullerton police chief charged with battery

Former Fullerton Police Chief David James Hendricks and Capt. Thomas William Oliveras Jr. were charged on Friday for battery