CSUF National Student Speech Language Hearing Association hosts ‘The Way We Talk’ screening to shed light on stuttering

In 2018 Health Issue, Lifestyle
(Rick Navarro / Daily Titan)

Doughnuts, drinks, balloons, sandwiches and students cluttered the Titan Student Union for the premiere showing of the documentary, “The Way We Talk.” The stage was set for CSUF students to experience the impact and struggle of what it’s like to live with a stutter.

The CSUF National Student Speech Language Hearing Association hosted the film screening.

The president of the club and person who organized the event was Samantha Dominguez.

“Our whole goal is to raise awareness about stuttering and we actually have an adult support group here for people who do stutter. So this is a way for us to get students who may stutter to know about the adult support group and to watch a fun movie to maybe relate to it,” Dominguez said.

The documentary follows a man by the name of Michael Turner as he explores how stuttering has affected his life and the people around him. In the film, Turner struggles with stuttering and with the knowledge that the gene is inheritable and incurable.

About 25 people showed up to the viewing and each left wanting to learn more about what people who stutter go through.

Dominguez said she wants the public to be more aware of the issue and show that people who stutter are no different than those without the impediment.

CSUF senior Ruly Rivas stutters and said he loved how this film won nine awards while bringing more awareness to the public.

“It just turns out to be an issue with our muscles and our speech production and it has nothing to do with how we think or cognitive abilities. I just want people to know that we are exactly the same, we just can’t say what we want to say sometimes,” Rivas said.

The film began as a project that was proposed on Kickstarter, a global crowdfunding website, to help bring projects to life. Turner needed $16,250 to make this film after uploading his pitch video online. When the pledging process came to an end, the project made $25,211.

After receiving the necessary funds, Turner bought a camera, editing equipment and a microphone, then began filming the documentary. Turner also used the funds to meet with professionals in the field of stuttering and get their insight on the matter, as well as people from Oregon who stutter.

When the documentary came to an end, thunderous applause came from the audience as they resonated with the story of Michael Turner. Those who gave a speech before the film came back onto the stage and gave their final comments and answered questions from the audience.

“When you approach someone who stutters, give them their time to say it. Don’t try to finish what their saying,” Dominguez said. “Just be more aware that if you come across anyone who stutters, they’re just like you.”

Graph depicting full time equivalent students enrollment at different CSU's

Cal State Fullerton ranks lowest in funding per student in the CSU system

Cal State Fullerton receives the lowest funding per student in the CSU system and has the most enrolled students

Graph showing a decrease in crime statistics

CSUF releases Annual Security Report under Clery Act showing 2017 crime rates

Cal State Fullerton and several other local CSUs have released their 2017 Annual Security Report as mandated by the

Gayle Brunelle addresses her concerns with executive order 1100 at academic senate meeting thursday

General education requirements in CSU system could create faculty layoffs

Chancellor Timothy P. White issued an executive order in August 2017 requiring colleges in the CSU system to change