CSUF softball comes up empty handed in doubleheader against Fairfield University and Columbia University

Zoe Richard steps up to the plate
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Anderson Family Field was welcomed with rainy weather as CSUF softball failed to win either of its doubleheader games on Tuesday, falling 4-2 to Fairfield University and 5-0 to Columbia University.

The Titans endured an erratic first inning against Fairfield. With sophomore Sophie Frost in the circle, the team gave up two early runs off an error and a fly ball to right field.

CSUF answered in the second when outfielder Ari Williams stole second and was driven in by infielder Emily Randall.

However, the rain stopped play for 57 minutes during the second inning while the field crew brought the tarp out until it eventually let up.

Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford didn’t view the weather factor as an excuse for the team’s disappointing performance, instead pinpointing lack of effort as the problem.

“Both teams have to deal with that so it’s an even playing field. We just flat out didn’t compete every pitch,” Ford said.

Fullerton’s batting momentum continued to gain steam after the delay as catcher Julia Valenzuela tied the contest up with a ground ball down the middle that brought infielder Bryanna Ybarra home.

Defensive woes returned in the third inning after two walks and a deep drive down the right-field line gave Fairfield another two runs.

The Titans faced trouble at the top of the sixth with runners at the corners. Clutch outs at home and third base helped them escape the inning unscathed.

With runners on second and third, Fullerton was unable to capitalize in the seventh inning as Williams’ pop up to first base sealed the 4-2 loss.

Columbia gave the Titans trouble early on in the following game by loading the bases in the first inning. However, CSUF squeezed out of the inning only giving up one run by way of strong outfield play.

Fullerton’s pitching kept the game in control until the top of the fifth when Columbia doubled to deep right center and gained two runs.

CSUF struggled to finish at the top of the seventh as it gave up back to back doubles with two outs adding two more runs and handing Fullerton a 5-0 loss.

The poor batting performance was disappointing for Ford as she noted it will be a major focus in practice for the remainder of the week.

“I don’t know what team played this game tonight, but that’s not the Cal State Fullerton team I know,” Ford said. “It’s my job to get our mojo back.”

The Titans will look to do exactly that going into a busy weekend at home entering the Easton Invitational, their final tournament in nonconference play, beginning with a doubleheader on Friday, March 16.

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,

One pumpkin has the same medicinal benefits as supplements from the pharmacy.

Here’s why pumpkins are the superfood of the fall season

Despite the Southern California sun, fall is in full swing and the pumpkins are here to stay. Although this

A police bus blows smoke on the site of the maze.

The 17th Door provides thrillseekers in Fullerton with hair-raising maze

The 17th Door in Fullerton is easy to miss; the only thing leading thrillseekers in the right direction is