CSUF softball stomped 14-3 by Oklahoma in largest loss of the season

In Softball, Sports
Ari Williams starts running to first

CSUF softball dropped its final game of the Easton Invitational against Oklahoma by a final score of 14-3.

The 11-point deficit is the largest margin of defeat for the Titans this season.

“I think we’ve got to refocus. That’s going to be the improvement. Our athletes need to rest today, rest tomorrow, try to do their best and come in with a fresh mindset,” said Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford.

The Sooners took an early lead after Jocelyn Alo hit a home run into left field. In the bottom of the first, Titans right fielder Brooke Clemetson managed to get on base via walk, but was caught trying to steal second.

Oklahoma took control of the game in the second inning by scoring five runs. A defensive error at first base gave the Sooners two unearned runs.

CSUF pitcher Kenzie Grimes was pulled for Trish Parks after Sooners third baseman Sydney Romero cranked in three runs with a bomb to center field.

Ford said they planned on pulling their pitcher after two innings regardless of the outcome.

“Sometimes your plans work and sometimes they don’t,” Ford said. “Oklahoma is a very good team. They were patient and they did things well.”

Seven Sooner runs were scored in the seventh inning, which solidified their win. During the run, Romero went yard and brought in three runs for the second time in the game.

Oklahoma recorded another 3 RBI homerun and an RBI single to close out the inning.

In the bottom of the seventh, first baseman Zoe Richard grounded out to first but managed to bring Clemetson home. Outfielder Gretchen Hom also scored after pitcher Janelle Rodriguez was walked with the bases loaded.

Fullerton’s two runs were not enough to combat Oklahoma’s offensive explosion in the final inning. This loss dropped CSUF’s overall record to 12-17.

Although Ford was disappointed in the Titans play, she’s proud of the work they’re putting in and hopes these experiences shape the team heading into conference play.

“I’ve challenged the athletes to get better with every game and every opportunity and there are things behind the scenes that I’m really happy with. I’m excited to get better over these next five games (before conference play),” Ford said.

CSUF will get right back in action Tuesday as they host Cal State Bakersfield for a doubleheader starting at 4 p.m.