CSUF softball finishes 2-2 in the Long Beach State/Fullerton Tournament

temp

Though weather conditions challenged CSUF softball throughout the Long Beach State/Fullerton Tournament, the Titans left with a 2-2 record in the tourney, bringing their overall record to 11-11.

“I thought we had some real competitive moments in this tournament. Those are the things we want to put in the bank and take to conference play,” said Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford.

Day One

The Titans matched up against San Jose State University but fell short in the sixth inning for a 15-6 loss.

San Jose rallied for the first run of the game, but by the bottom of the third CSUF returned to raise the score 2-1 following an RBI from Julia Valenzuela and a homer from Deshea Hill.

However, once it was time for Fullerton to provide defense and keep its lead, the Spartans were able to make connections at the plate, posting five runs in the top of the fourth.

CSUF attempted a comeback in the fifth inning when two runs were converted from four hits for a 6-6 game.

The sixth inning kicked off with a home run for San Jose’s Kaelin Amerin which started a burst of offensive energy for the Spartans. A nine-run inning ended the game, handing CSUF its first loss in the tourney and third double-digit loss of the season.

Day Two

Following a blowout game, the Titans returned to their diamond for redemption. Facing Boston University, they dominated the field with a 6-0 win.

The first inning was uneventful for both teams as neither could bring in runs. Once the game entered the second inning, the Titans had a shift of momentum to get on the board.

Outfielder Ari Williams found herself creating a new all-time program record for stolen bases, as a leadoff in the second led to her 60th stolen base in her career. Pitcher Sophie Frost held down the circle, earning her third complete game and win of the season.

With the 28 at-bats and 13 hits throughout the game, Fullerton scored at least one run in every inning but the first, leaving Boston in the dust.

“We just came and played seven strong (innings),” Ford said. “It wasn’t a perfect game and these players know I’m not asking that perfect game, but what I’m asking them is to get out there and compete at their level every pitch.”

Day Three

Coming off a big win Friday night, Fullerton had a doubleheader ahead of them. Its first game was against the Ohio State Buckeyes with a quick turnaround to face Seattle University.

But the odds were against the Titans as a layer of heavy-filled rain clouds hovered over Anderson Family Field before the match against the Buckeyes. A light downfall allowed CSUF to begin the game, but as the game progressed, the rain intensified, ending the contest’s first inning and cancelling its second match.

Day Four

The final day of the Long Beach State/Fullerton Tournament turned into another doubleheader for the Titans. Battling against San Diego State University, CSUF entered another game in its win column with a 4-3 victory.

Trailing by the third inning, Fullerton regained a spark when it took its turn at the plate and a double from Zoe Richard brought in Kelsie Whitmore to decrease its deficit to one run.

Frost stood in the pitcher’s circle for all eight innings, marking her fourth complete game. She allowed only six hits and three runs from the Aztecs.

A final hit from Bryanna Ybarra shifted the loaded bases and sent Sammie Vandiver home for the last run of the game.

After being rained out the third day, the Titans reconvened their match against the Buckeyes shortly after. Their strength present in the previous game carried over into the next game.

Fullerton was able to get its first run after a single from Deshea Hill brought one of the runners on loaded bases to home plate.

Though pitcher Taylor Dockins only walked two batters, the Buckeyes were able to get in six hits for three runs concluding a quick game, 3-1.

“Taylor put us in the position to win. We just didn’t have the timely hitting, and truthfully we gave them those two runs,” Ford said.

The Titans will return to their home field Tuesday to participate in a doubleheader against Fairfield and Columbia starting at 4 p.m.