CSUF softball looks to fix its errors before doubleheader against Fairfield University and Colombia University

Cal State Fullerton softball athletes in a huddle listening to Titan Ari Williams speaking
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

After finishing 2-2 in the Long Beach State/Fullerton Tournament over the weekend, CSUF softball will try to address its flaws before entering another doubleheader Tuesday against the Fairfield University Stags and the Columbia University Lions.

“We had a lot of really great moments, but we were still giving the opponents second chances and great teams take advantage of those second chances,” said Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford.

CSUF was able to make contact with the ball in the first couple innings against San Jose State and Ohio State, but lost touch as the games progressed. Timely hitting is CSUF’s primary focus after it’s team batting average dropped to .297.

“We need to be really selective with the pitch that we’re going after. I still think we’re chasing in a hitters count,” Ford said.

After a few errors lost the Titans their first tourney game against San Jose, Ford said she was search of a “secret formula” to minimize any opportunities opposing teams can take advantage of.

Beginning with the pitcher’s circle, the Titans are working to stop walking the lead-off batter. For the rest of the defenders, Ford wants the Titans to focus on making simple plays, rather than trying to be the hero.

“The great plays are going to come and go so we have to make the routine plays,” Ford said.  

Knowing her team only has one day of rest, Ford wants the team to be prepared for the first pitch at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday with a quick turnaround for the second match at Anderson Family Field.

I want us to come rested, with our minds rested, come rested physically, and come ready to compete. When we are in that real present state of mind that’s when those great performances happen,” Ford said.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.