CSUF students groove and hustle to ASI’s silent disco in the TSU Pub

In Features, Lifestyle, Music, Student Body
Students dance with neon glow sticks and headphones in a dark room
(Priscilla Carcido / Daily Titan)

Despite the rhythmic body movements and feet hitting the floor, no obvious beat controlled the dancing bodies and not a single speaker was in sight. It was the perfect scene for a dance party, but any passerby would’ve looked on with confusion — a silent disco was taking place.

Neon balloons decorated the dance floor and glow sticks swung in the air Thursday afternoon in the Titan Student Union Underground Pub.

At silent discos, people literally dance to their own beat, with music playing from wireless headphones. Dancers normally have a few options they can choose from or switch between.

Put together by Associated Students Spring Concert and Sunday Series coordinators, students were invited to put on a pair of glowing headphones and dance like no one was watching or in this case, listening.

With the pressures of school amping up, Alyse Russell, Spring Concert coordinator, said Associated Students wanted to provide a way for the student body to relieve some stress. A silent disco allowed for students studying in the pub to still have some peace among their textbooks.

Neon balloons clutter the floor as students wave glow sticks
(Priscilla Carcido / Daily Titan)

A hundred headphones were rented from Neon Entertainment for the event, said Tabitha Butler, the Sunday Series Production coordinator. Two pre-programmed stations allowed students to switch from pop to electronic dance music. The headphones glowed red when individuals were jamming to the pop station and turned green when the electronic dance music station played.

Donovan Invencion, first-year business marketing major, had a gap between classes during the silent disco and decided to stop by. He wasn’t sure what to expect coming into the event, but had no regrets once he put on the headphones.

Sticking mainly to the electronic dance music station — “Ric Flair Drip” by Offset and Metro Boomin was his favorite — he didn’t neglect the other option.

“They play some bangers on the pop (station),” Invencion said.

Songs from Drake, Calvin Harris, and Spring Concert performers Kehlani and Metro Boomin were some of the artists played through the headphones.

Kimberly Ubungen, fourth-year public relations major, danced it out with a group of her friends.

“I heard ‘God’s Plan’ and that was all I needed to hear to be honest,” Ubungen said.

Wanting to sing along to Drake as he declared he only loves his bed and his mama she realized she might be the only person experiencing that moment.

Often times, taking the headphones off met with the sound of the bowling alley next to the pub or students talking at the tables.

Despite having their own headphones, it was obvious when people were listening to the same station. Dancers hit the same beat, froze before the same bass dropped and picked up their movement as the same song intensified. They might have selected the same station on purpose, but watching two people move to the same rhythm and not know what song they were dancing to is captivating.

Whether they moved to different beats or sung to the same lyrics, everyone at the silent disco seemed to be having a good time.

“You never really know with these type of things if people are going to show up and participate,” Butler said. “It’s really cool to see that so many people are embracing it and just having fun with it.”

A photo of Rami Perlman giving advice to CSUF's Music Industry club.

Space Yacht entrepreneur group gives industry advice to CSUF students

Space Yacht, a Los Angeles events collective, was invited by the Cal State Fullerton Music Industry Club on Tuesday

CSUF women's basketball forward Amiee Book waits for a free throw attempt.

Family fuels Amiee Book’s passion of basketball

Ranked second in the Big West in 3-point percentage, international student and CSUF women's basketball freshman forward Amiee Book

Cal State Fullerton women's basketball senior guard Jade Vega dribbles the ball during Cal State Fullerton's women's basketball game against Cal State Northridge.

CSUF women’s basketball looks to snap six game skid

CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their six-game losing streak Thursday night when they host UC Santa Barbara.