Everyone, including Barack Obama, is picking Purdue to beat CSUF in the NCAA tournament

In Men's Basketball, Sports
Barack Obama's March Madness bracket
Photo via Barack Obama's Twitter account

As the No. 15 seed in the East region of the 2018 NCAA tournament, CSUF men’s basketball hardly looks like the favorite to win the Big Dance as it heads into its matchup with No. 2 seed Purdue University in Detroit on Friday.

Surveying the internet does very little to dispute that notion. None of CBS Sports’ experts picked the Titans to beat Purdue, and neither did any of Sports Illustrated’s.

Sportsline — a betting service that has used computer simulations to predict “nine out of 12 double-digit NCAA Tournament upsets in the first round” over the last two years of the tournament — also did not pick CSUF to win. BetDSI, another gambling service, set CSUF’s line at +20.5, meaning that the Titans would have to lose by less than 20 points for a gambler to win money.

BetDSI also did not even set a moneyline for the Titans, effectively meaning their experts give the team no chance to win.

They aren’t the only ones. Former U.S. President Barack Obama was among the notable figures to pick against the Titans:

It’s not exactly surprising that the Titans are such heavy underdogs. They just barely made it across to join March Madness, making the cut only by virtue of winning the Big West Tournament over the weekend.

Meanwhile, Purdue is one of the best teams in the country, ranked No. 11 in the final national rankings with a 28-6 record. The Boilermakers boast a dominant seven-footer in Isaac Haas, while CSUF doesn’t have any regular rotation players over 6’9.

Still, the Titans are rightfully confident they can shock the world. The world just doesn’t expect it, and neither do any computer simulations, experts, or the country’s former president.

Graph depicting full time equivalent students enrollment at different CSU's

Cal State Fullerton ranks lowest in funding per student in the CSU system

Cal State Fullerton receives the lowest funding per student in the CSU system and has the most enrolled students

Graph showing a decrease in crime statistics

CSUF releases Annual Security Report under Clery Act showing 2017 crime rates

Cal State Fullerton and several other local CSUs have released their 2017 Annual Security Report as mandated by the

Gayle Brunelle addresses her concerns with executive order 1100 at academic senate meeting thursday

General education requirements in CSU system could create faculty layoffs

Chancellor Timothy P. White issued an executive order in August 2017 requiring colleges in the CSU system to change