Former CSUF baseball coach Augie Garrido dies at 79 after an impactful life around the game

In Baseball, Sports

College baseball legend, coach Augie Garrido died at age 79 Thursday morning of “complications following a stroke,” according to the L.A. Times. Garrido transformed CSUF baseball into a powerhouse during his 21 years as a Titan.

His legacy not only left an impact on the teams he coached, but also on the sports world.

“This is a very, very sad day,” Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte told Matt Young of the Houston Chronicle. “We lost one of the greatest coaches of all time, a truly special Longhorn legend and college athletics icon. There will never be another Augie Garrido. He was a once-in-a-lifetime personality whose impact on Texas athletics, collegiate baseball and the student-athletes he coached extended far beyond the playing field.”

Garrido won five national championships and was college baseball’s winningest coach, recording 1,975 victories in his 48-year career.

“College baseball and the world lost one of the finest men in our coaching profession,” Florida State University Head Coach Mike Martin said in a statement. “Augie dedicated his life to making young men better people. He will be deeply missed by myself and many others.”

In his time at CSUF, Garrido coached the Titans to three College World Series championships (1979, 1984, 1995). The legend coached two stints at Fullerton, from 1973-1987 and 1991-1996.

Additionally, Garrido helped produce major league players like Tim Wallach, Phil Nevin and Mark Kotsay. He was inducted into the CSUF Athletics Hall of Fame in 2005.

Garrido left Fullerton to coach at the University of Texas, where he spent his final 20 seasons, winning two more College World Series titles (2002, 2005). He was inducted into the National College Baseball Hall of Fame in 2016, the same year of his retirement.

He was the first baseball coach in history to lead two different teams to national titles.

“Augie was a giant in our game,” current Texas baseball coach David Pierce told Chron.com. “His impact on baseball, on the Forty Acres, and on me and so many others will live on forever … His presence will be sorely missed but his legacy will never be forgotten.”

When Fullerton returned to the College World Series in 2016, Garrido reminisced on the program he contributed to fostering.

“That’s my young child. That’s the baby that created all this for me,” Garrido said of Fullerton. “It wasn’t me, it was us …I played a part in it because I had the title of head coach. I got the W or the L, but it still represents everyone.”

Hello Kitty and her friends welcome visitors to Tanaka Farm's annual pumpkin patch.

Tanaka Farms kicks off the fall season with a visit from Hello Kitty

Hello Kitty and her friends harvested happiness on the first day of fall at the Tanaka Farms’ annual pumpkin

A girl looking the mirror, on the outside she is smiling but in her reflection she is frowning

Column: Struggling with narrow beauty standards

I have never struggled more with confidence than I have in the past three years. As I’ve gained weight,

Illustration of student buying food

California proposing financial aid to food insecure students

The number of food-insecure students has been rising across college campuses throughout the nation due to rising tuition costs