Josh Borjas and Ana Aldazabal named ASI president and vice president following disqualification of two opponents

Josh and Ana sit on a staircase, smiling
(Courtesy of Jakob Wright)

CSUF Associated Students announced Josh Borjas and Ana Aldazabal  as the president elect and vice president elect on March 19.

Borjas is a fourth-year communication studies major and currently serves on the Associated Students Board of Directors, representing the College of Communications.

Aldazabal is a fifth-year communications major and president for the Diversity Resilience Education Access Movement Co-Operation (DREAM Co-Op) at Cal State Fullerton.

The running mates were introduced by friends, and the duo felt they would be compatible running mates. Aldazabal said it is important to reach different student groups and listen to them, which she feels she can do with Borjas at her side.

We had a conversation, it was kind of like an awkward first date. I have certain strengths and weaknesses and Ana really complements me,” Borjas said.

Aldazabal said she finds it important to engage with communities who may feel underrepresented on campus. 

Josh and Ana stand back to back with their arms crossed, smiling
(Courtesy Edward Orellana)

A reveal party was held Thursday night, where unofficial results were posted, said Rachel Langenfeld, elections director for Associated Students.

Borjas and Aldazabal received 1,403 votes out of the 3,433 ballots cast. They initially had 40 percent of the votes, which later increased to 60 percent after an instant runoff vote, in which the candidates with the lowest votes are eliminated, Langenfeld said.

In the past, Associated Students hosted two rounds of voting when candidates didn’t meet the required 50 percent, plus one vote to win the election. Associated Students recently changed the ranking method so students would not have to vote a second time, Langenfeld said.

After the disqualification of Colin Eacobellis and Celine Moubayed, Borjas and Aldazabal said they felt sympathetic but continued to focus on their own campaign.

“We felt all of the campaigns were campaigning really hard, they kept us on our toes. We were just surprised and obviously, we didn’t know much about it. At that time we couldn’t have the time to care, we had to continue to push forward for us,” Borjas said.

Borjas and Aldazabal will begin their one-year term on June 1.

“I really want more representation, for some of the communities that I’m part of, in ASI. I think there’s been representation in the past but I want there to be more. Not only that, but to make students realize that they have a voice in ASI,” Aldazabal said.

A photo of Rami Perlman giving advice to CSUF's Music Industry club.

Space Yacht entrepreneur group gives industry advice to CSUF students

Space Yacht, a Los Angeles events collective, was invited by the Cal State Fullerton Music Industry Club on Tuesday

CSUF women's basketball forward Amiee Book waits for a free throw attempt.

Family fuels Amiee Book’s passion of basketball

Ranked second in the Big West in 3-point percentage, international student and CSUF women's basketball freshman forward Amiee Book

Cal State Fullerton women's basketball senior guard Jade Vega dribbles the ball during Cal State Fullerton's women's basketball game against Cal State Northridge.

CSUF women’s basketball looks to snap six game skid

CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their six-game losing streak Thursday night when they host UC Santa Barbara.