New CSUF police chief Raymund Aguirre sworn in

In Campus News, Local News, News, Top Stories
Raymund Aguirre raises his right hand to swear in as Cal State Fullerton's new University Police Chief

Dennis DeMaio handed over the duty of Cal State Fullerton University Police chief to Raymund Aguirre, who will oversee 30 sworn officers serving a campus of nearly 40,000 students.

When DeMaio announced his retirement in September 2017, CSUF launched a search for his replacement. DeMaio waited for six months, agreeing to stay at CSUF until a new chief was found.

In February, Aguirre was announced as the new police chief, taking over the position on March 1. He was officially welcomed at his swearing-in ceremony Friday afternoon.

The ceremony was held at the Goeller Alumni House, with family, friends, faculty and staff in attendance, alongside the University Police to show support.

DeMaio welcomed the new chief after fulfilling his six years of service to the Titan community. In his speech, DeMaio said he was impressed by Aguirre’s numerous accomplishments, including being one of the first community college chiefs to attain body-worn cameras for his officers in 2012.

Danny C. Kim, vice president of administration and finance, swore in Aguirre as he took oath to bear truth, faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the United States and the state of California.

Aguirre’s son, Matthew, was asked to officially pin Raymund Aguirre’s badge during the ceremony.

“He’s the greatest guy I know, so for him to get this position here in Fullerton, I think it’s been a long time coming for him. He deserves this 100 percent,” Matthew Aguirre said.

The ceremony came to a close as Chief Raymund Aguirre addressed the audience and recognized community-based policing as the backbone of the University Police’s operations.  

“We will maintain and sustain the good relationships we’ve established throughout the various constituent groups in our community. These relationships need to foster, grow and develop in order to ensure effective public safety at Cal State Fullerton,” Raymund Aguirre said in his speech.

Raymund Aguirre said he plans to introduce CSUF to a similar active shooter program, which began at the San Diego Community College Police Department.

“I really found my niche in law enforcement in the educational environment. You have to love working with students here and that’s where I’m fulfilled,” Raymund Aguirre said.

DeMaio will officially retire after 45 years of service. His wife, Deborah DeMaio, and seven grandchildren are looking forward to traveling in the upcoming years.

I think his greatest accomplishment is that he has made friendships and kept this campus safe with heart and soul into community policing and the students and the faculty,” Deborah DeMaio said.

Dennis and Raymund embraced one another, concluding the ceremony.

“There’s always that rainbow out there, you just gotta look for it, and when you find it you can solve any problem,” Dennis DeMaio said to Raymund Aguirre.

Graph depicting full time equivalent students enrollment at different CSU's

Cal State Fullerton ranks lowest in funding per student in the CSU system

Cal State Fullerton receives the lowest funding per student in the CSU system and has the most enrolled students

Graph showing a decrease in crime statistics

CSUF releases Annual Security Report under Clery Act showing 2017 crime rates

Cal State Fullerton and several other local CSUs have released their 2017 Annual Security Report as mandated by the

Gayle Brunelle addresses her concerns with executive order 1100 at academic senate meeting thursday

General education requirements in CSU system could create faculty layoffs

Chancellor Timothy P. White issued an executive order in August 2017 requiring colleges in the CSU system to change