‘Jessica Jones’ Review: Season two is slow to establish its binge-worthy plot

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV, Lifestyle, Reviews
The face of Jessica Jones surrounded by a collage of characters and brush strokes.
Courtesy Marvel Cinematic Universe

It’s been over two years since Netflix viewers were first introduced to the largely unfamiliar, superpowered-whiskeyholic Jessica Jones, who quickly became recognizable in the Marvel franchise.

On International Women’s Day, Marvel fans were gifted with the return of Jessica in a brand new season full of revelations.

“Jessica Jones” season two is mainly centered around the characters’ past catching up with them. After suppressing and avoiding her history, Jessica (Krysten Ritter) finally has to come to terms with it. The only secrets or explanations revealed thus far involved events in season one surrounding the trauma Jessica faced with Kilgrave (David Tennant), and the tragic car accident that killed Jessica’s family, leaving her an orphan.

Season two makes it apparent these recollections only scratch the surface; the events that unfold bring out the chilling skeletons in Jessica’s closet, ones she wasn’t even aware of.

The antagonist, played by Janet McTeer, is a superpowered being who was a subject of Jessica’s creators. While Jessica won’t admit to being a hero, her biggest fear is turning into a ruthless bloodthirsty monster.

Season two’s villain is not as frightening or compelling as Kilgrave was, but leaves more of an emotional, personal impact on Jessica.

Season two is slow to establish its interesting and binge-worthy plot until the seventh episode “AKA I Want Your Cray Cray.”

Past this point, Trish Walker’s (Rachael Taylor) drug and party filled past (which was only hinted at before) is shown. The audience learns why Jessica is so reserved when it comes to letting people in making for some of the best scenes of the season.

The long buildup is frustrating and dull at times, but being patient pays off as each episode after episode seven ends with nail-biting cliff-hangers often leading to internal screams and gasps of disbelief.

But Jessica isn’t the only character with a major story arc this season.
Jeri Hogarth (Carrie-Anne Moss), now alone and divorced, faces a major obstacle with her health, threatening her personal life and employment at her law firm. Jeri’s vulnerability is a new dynamic in the show and seeing her attempts to overcome these issues is empowering.

Malcolm Ducasse (Eka Darville) is another character who attempts to overcome his own personal battles since his first appearance. While he primarily served as a secondary character in season one, he is a vital part to season two. He becomes more than just a recovering addict and finds purpose by becoming more involved in Jessica’s private investigation company and helping her solve cases.

While Jeri and Malcolm serve as the two of the more likeable characters of the season, Trish turned out to be completely unbearable and unlikeable. Her actions are selfish and she hurts the people closest to her by using them for her own professional advantages and to get rid of her insecurities.

Although Trish’s origins as Hellcat start this season, she is definitely not worthy of possessing powers or dealing with the ramifications explored in all of the Marvel Netflix shows.

Season two is darker than the first and more violent, with brutal casualties often causing one to look away from the screen. Although the journey of unveiling the mysteries of Jessica’s past is dark, there are lighthearted and appropriate moments of comic relief found especially through Jessica’s snarky remarks.

“Jessica Jones” season two answers many of the questions left in season one, but ends with new possibilities for each character as they all have new paths to unfold and their future to worry about. While it didn’t surpass the quality of its first season, it’s still worth binging to truly understand the complexities of Jessica and the other characters.