Sophie Frost helps lead CSUF softball to sweep of Cal State Bakersfield in Tuesday’s doubleheader

In Softball, Sports
Shianne Brannan leads off on first

CSUF softball picked up two shutout victories Tuesday against Cal State Bakersfield with final scores 3-0 and 9-0.

“I think they were really good comeback wins. We’ve been struggling and playing some tougher teams, so this was definitely good for us,” said Titans outfielder Brooke Clemetson.

CSUF quickly posted five runs in the first two innings during the second game. In the final at-bat of the night, infielder Sam Kennedy hit the only home run in both games, bringing in two other Titans to end the game with a 9-0 win.

The Titans quickly created a lead over the Roadrunners after outfielder Brooke Clemetson was reeled in from third by outfielder Ari Williams when her bunt opened home plate.

Maintaining the momentum, Williams stole two bases from the Roadrunners and was brought home after a single from Janelle Rodriguez.

“I think we just jumped on her (Bakersfield pitcher Summer Evans) right away. We scored two runs in the first inning of each game. We were swinging at good pitches instead of swinging at pitches she wanted,” Clemetson said.

Bakersfield tallied five hits throughout the game, but were unable to get any runs in as Titans pitcher Sophie Frost earned her third shutout of the season. Frost struck out seven of the Roadrunners at the plate and gave up two walks.

With pitcher Trisha Park in the circle for the second game, the Titans left no chance for the Roadrunners to score, giving up four hits and two walks.

“I think both of our pitchers set the tone. Sophie came in and threw ground-ball outs in game one and Trisha came in with heat and the best command she had to date,” said Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford.

With conference play approaching, the Titans look to keep their “compete-every-pitch” mentality, selecting the right pitches in order to keep themselves on the board against their opponents.

Fullerton will utilize the final nonconference games to improve every aspect of its game.

“There’s no time off in conference. Every series is a knockdown drag out and (they need to) be ready to bring every ounce of competitive blood in their body,” Ford said.

Without a chance for break, Fullerton returns to Anderson Family Field on Wednesday at 6 p.m. to face Loyola Marymount for a three-game series.

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind