Andrew Quezada of CSUF baseball earns Big West Conference Pitcher of the Week after shutout against Hawaii

In Baseball, Sports, Top Stories
Titans pitcher Andrew Quezada throwing a pitch.
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton baseball pitcher Andrew Quezada earned the Big West Conference Pitcher of the Week award on Monday, following his shutout in the Titans 8-0 win over Hawaii on Sunday.

Quezada tossed his first complete game of the season, logging a career-high nine strikeouts while giving up 11 hits.

“It’s an honor to earn this award, but honestly this is a team award,” Quezada told CSUF Sports Media. “I owe a lot of credit to my teammates for getting me so many runs and playing such great defense behind me.”

Quezada joked that he’s never received the game ball after giving up 11 hits.

A lot of hits weren’t hard but the defense was working hard. I’ll take it, it’s a win,” Quezada said.

This year, Quezada  has started in all nine of his appearances, holding a 2-4 record with a 4.25 ERA. His stats, however, are bogged down by a rough start to the season where he was used as the Saturday starter.

In the five games since moving to the Sunday job, Quezada is 2-2 with 22 strikeouts and 11 earned runs in 32 innings pitched.

“(I’m) learning throughout each start,” Quezada said. “Taking the good and the bad, learning from it and continuing to make adjustments.”

Exterior shot of the CSUF emblem

Cal State Universities work to improve sustainability efforts

Sustainability is becoming more important to all Cal State Universities as each university has agreed to comply with specific

Where CSUF’s water comes from and how it’s maintained

Cal State Fullerton’s water supply comes from the city of Fullerton, which gets its water from the Metropolitan Water

Cal State Fullerton’s commuter culture negatively impacts air quality on campus

Commuter behavior poses a threat to Cal State Fullerton’s ability to meet air quality pollution standards set by the