ASI’s Spring Concert preview: Gearheart and Ivnasty ready to take center stage at CSUF

In Lifestyle, Music
Gearheart performs at Becker Amphitheater during ASI's Battle of the Bands.
(Diane Ortiz / Daily Titan)

Aside from the soulful sounds of Kehlani and the banger-esque production of Metro Boomin, opening acts Gearheart and Ivnasty are ready to take on the limelight at Associated Students’ Spring Concert, both playing one of their biggest performances to date.

With only one day left before the highly anticipated event, excitement, preparation and a little case of the nerves have been building up to this moment for both artists.

“We’d be lying if we said we weren’t nervous. But once we get on stage, we’ll feel right at home,” said Pedro Galvez, Gearheart’s bass guitarist and back-up vocalist.

Slated to start at 4:30 p.m., Gearheart consists of lead singer and guitarist Joey Chavez Ferguson, guitarist Peter Chavez and drummer Kevin Tran, a third-year communications major at CSUF.

The Westminster-based band described its sound as “shades of rock.” Influenced by bands like Green Day, the Foo Fighters and Nirvana, Gearheart beat out two other Spring Concert hopefuls at Associated Students’ Battle of the Bands in early March to earn their spot in Saturday’s concert.

Gearheart has released two LPs, putting out their debut album “Kick It Into Gear” in 2015. The band is no stranger to live performances, having played at venues like the the Orange County fairgrounds, the Queen Mary and the House of Blues in Anaheim.

Galvez said the band is thankful for the opportunity to perform.

“I definitely hope (concertgoers) would get our sense of music taste, our passion,” Galvez said. “To be anywhere in any community that allows us to play our music, that’s what really makes us happy.”

After their Spring Concert performance, the band is also booked to perform later that evening at a benefit show for multiple sclerosis in Huntington Beach.

Following Gearheart’s performance and joining in on the festivities is DJ and marketing major Ivan Labra, also known by his on-stage persona Ivnasty.

The fifth-year student earned his way into Spring Concert’s lineup through Associated Students’ Battle of the DJs in February and has been mixing for three years; he looks to venture into the world of music production once he finishes school.

Labra has been featured on Titan Radio and performed at venues like Mansion in Costa Mesa. He described his musical taste as a combination of trap, hip-hop, house and moombahton, a fusion of house and reggaeton.

“I like more of the type (of music) that you can bob your head to,” Labra said.

The DJ models his style after renowned artists like A-Trak, Four Color Zack and DJ Craze.

Labra said he has an idea of what types of songs he wants to include in his performance.

“With these types of events, there’s people all over the spectrums of music,” Labra said. “You also want to bring in your style into it. That’s the only way you’re going to distinguish yourself.”

The feeling is surreal for Labra, as this performance will push him to continue progressing as a musician.

“It’s pretty inspiring on this end and also on the other end, where you can make people come together, they rock out to the sounds you’re giving, so it’s pretty tight,” Labra said.

Tickets to come out and see Gearheart and Ivnasty set the stage for the headlining acts are still available. The concert will open its gates at 4 p.m on Saturday at the Intramural Fields.