Barks of Love is bringing back Bark Bash to give dogs another chance at finding a home

In Features, Lifestyle, Top Stories
Champ, a black and white medium sized dogs, poses in his wheelchair
Courtesy of Barks of Love

Although the number of animals euthanized in shelters has decreased from 2011, 1.5 million cats and dogs are euthanized each year, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Overpopulation remains an issue for many animal shelters, and it can lead to more euthanization according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. However, the number of dogs adopted directly from shelters results in fewer euthanizations.

Barks of Love, a local nonprofit, foster-based dog rescue, will be hosting an event called Bark Bash at the Heritage Museum of Orange County on April 29 from noon to 4 p.m.

Bark Bash festivities will include vendors like Arm the Animals and Java on the Go, music and food trucks, as well as face painting and a kid-friendly activity area.

The $10 entry fee will also grant access to the Heritage Museum and a guided nature walk. The Heritage Museum is a historic plaza that features buildings from the late 19th century as well as floral gardens and citrus groves.
Deja McCullough, a fourth-year public relations student at CSUF, has been working with the organization since February to promote the event, hoping to raise awareness of the importance of fostering.

“If you are unsure of whether you can handle a dog, or if you’ve never had a dog before, fostering is a really good way to have a dog in your home for a temporary amount of time. You can see how the dog adjusts, how you adjust or if your home is the right fit,” McCullough said.

Donations from last year’s event helped raise money to buy wheels to assist Champ, a dog rescued by Barks of Love after he was taken to a shelter to be euthanized due to an inability to use his hind legs.

McCullough said the entrance fee will work as a donation for the organization, which will help cover the cost of things like vaccines, medical and dental care, and training to ensure the dogs are healthy and well-adjusted when they move into their homes. All pet supplies and expenditures are provided to fostering families by Barks of Love.

McCullough said the amount of time a dog stays in a particular foster home varies because the organization doesn’t have a facility where all the dogs can stay. Volunteers house the dogs until they can be adopted.

Barks of Love cares for anywhere between 15 and 30 dogs a year with the help of donations and fundraisers, like Bark Bash

“When you foster a dog, or adopt a dog, then you’re helping lower the number of dogs that are already out there that are homeless,” McCullough said.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.