Cal State Fullerton baseball gave up four runs in the last two innings in 6-4 loss to Hawaii

In Baseball, Sports, Top Stories
Chris Prescott at the plate
(Jaime Cornejo / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton baseball squandered a two-run lead against Hawaii at home on Saturday, losing 6-4 in the tenth inning.

Fullerton dropped from first to third in the Big West conference standings with the loss. The Titans now trail UC Irvine and Hawaii.

“They just put the ball in play and they did what they’re supposed to do,” third baseman Brett Borgogno said. “We had opportunities late in the game and we just couldn’t come through.”

The Titans led 4-2 heading into the ninth inning. A double from pinch hitter Chayce Ka’aua drove in two runs for the Rainbow Warriors, sending the game into extra innings.

In the tenth, second baseman Dustin Demeter brought in two runners for Hawaii with a triple.

Fullerton’s pitchers gave up five hits in the last two innings. Both Borgogno and second baseman Hank LoForte said they believe the Titans’ pitching staff will bounce back on Sunday.

“We know our pitching is gonna come back,” LoForte said. “I have full confidence in our pitching. I think tomorrow we need to get ready and come out hot.”

For the second straight game, the Titans recorded nine total hits. However, they scored two fewer runs on Saturday.

Borgogno said they don’t need to hit more, but rather create more from the hits that they get.

“When runners get in scoring position, we gotta find a way to get them in,” Borgogno said. “If we play small ball, we’ll be fine tomorrow.”

With the series and a chance to surpass Hawaii in the Big West standings on the line, Borgogno knows what the team needs to do and said they will come out “on fire” in the final game against Hawaii.

“We just gotta play better baseball. We played good defense tonight and we pitched the ball okay. We just have to come all together, pitching, hitting and defense, and we’ll get the win tomorrow,” Borgogno said.

CSUF will play the final game of its series against Hawaii on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.