Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball to play in the inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational in November

In Men's Basketball, Sports, Top Stories
Jackson Rowe trying to toss the ball over defense.
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball will participate in the inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational during the 2018-2019 season, ESPN Events announced Wednesday.

The Titans are one of eight teams to play in the invitational. The only other team participating in the invitational to play in the 2018 NCAA Tournament is West Virginia, who were one of the final 16 teams in the tournament.

“We are excited for this opportunity to be on the stage with some of the best programs in the country. It is great for our ball club to compete, learn and grow at an early stage in the season,” Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor told CSUF Sports Media.

With one team yet to be announced, the Titans will potentially compete against Saint Joseph’s, University of Central Florida, Valparaiso, Wake Forest, West Virginia and Western Kentucky.

The early-season tournament will take place November 15, 16 and 18 at Coastal Carolina University’s HTC Center. Pete Derzis, ESPN senior vice president of college sports programming and ESPN Events, expressed his excitement for the new event.

“After collaborating with Visit Myrtle Beach and the city of Myrtle Beach to move last year’s Puerto Rico Tip-Off to the area due to the effects of Hurricane Maria, we saw first-hand the community’s outstanding facilities and passion for college basketball,” Derzis said in a release statement.

Coming off of the seventh 20-win season in school history, a Big West Tournament championship and its first March Madness appearance in 10 years, CSUF is the only West Coast team named to play in the invitational.