Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball to play in the inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational in November

In Men's Basketball, Sports, Top Stories
Jackson Rowe trying to toss the ball over defense.
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball will participate in the inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational during the 2018-2019 season, ESPN Events announced Wednesday.

The Titans are one of eight teams to play in the invitational. The only other team participating in the invitational to play in the 2018 NCAA Tournament is West Virginia, who were one of the final 16 teams in the tournament.

“We are excited for this opportunity to be on the stage with some of the best programs in the country. It is great for our ball club to compete, learn and grow at an early stage in the season,” Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor told CSUF Sports Media.

With one team yet to be announced, the Titans will potentially compete against Saint Joseph’s, University of Central Florida, Valparaiso, Wake Forest, West Virginia and Western Kentucky.

The early-season tournament will take place November 15, 16 and 18 at Coastal Carolina University’s HTC Center. Pete Derzis, ESPN senior vice president of college sports programming and ESPN Events, expressed his excitement for the new event.

“After collaborating with Visit Myrtle Beach and the city of Myrtle Beach to move last year’s Puerto Rico Tip-Off to the area due to the effects of Hurricane Maria, we saw first-hand the community’s outstanding facilities and passion for college basketball,” Derzis said in a release statement.

Coming off of the seventh 20-win season in school history, a Big West Tournament championship and its first March Madness appearance in 10 years, CSUF is the only West Coast team named to play in the invitational.

Gordon Capp, assistant professor of social work at Cal State Fullerton taught elementary and middle schools for six years.

Mental illness is only one part of addressing gun violence

Last weekend tragedy struck when a mass shooter opened fire at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks,

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving