Cal State Fullerton softball sweeps UC Santa Barbara to start Big West conference play

In Softball, Sports, Top Stories
Brooke Clemetson leading off on second base
Brooke Clemetson leading off on second base (Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton softball closed out its three-game series against UC Santa Barbara at home on Saturday with two walk-off victories and final scores of 14-6 and 8-0.

Paired with Friday’s win, the Titans swept the Gauchos for the first time since 2010.

Fullerton recorded a season high in hits (14), runs (14) and RBIs (12) in the first game against Santa Barbara on Saturday. Third baseman Bryanna Ybarra connected on all four of her at-bats, which counts as her highest total hits in one game this season.  

Catcher Julia Valenzuela tied her season-high record after contributing four RBIs against the Gauchos, which came from a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the sixth inning to end the game.

The last time she reached that mark was in a game against North Dakota State in the Campbell/Cartier Tournament.

Three of CSUF’s 14 hits came from right fielder Brooke Clemetson, who tied her season high that was set against Long Island University Brooklyn in the Mary Nutter Classic.

CSUF’s shutout in the second game of the doubleheader marks the first time the team has held its opponent to zero runs since March 20 against Cal State Bakersfield. It also stands as the sixth shutout of the season.

Pitcher Sophie Frost logged her tenth complete game of the season in game two against the Gauchos, only giving up one hit and one walk in the contest.

Although she didn’t close the game on a grand slam like Valenzuela, utility player Irieanna Siofele closed the Gauchos’ coffin with a three-run home run in the bottom of the fifth inning.

The sweep gave Fullerton a 3-0 start to Big West conference play and a share of first place with Long Beach State.The Titans will receive their first seven-day break of the season as they prepare to hit the road for the first time in over a month for their series against Cal State Northridge starting April 7.

CSUF Outside Hitter Gabrielle Barcelos set ups a spike attempt for her teammate against Cal Poly SLO, Sept. 21.

CSUF volleyball loses to UC Santa Barbara, drops eighth-straight game

CSUF volleyball was aced 10 times on the way to a three-set loss against UC Santa Barbara in Titan

CSUF's forward Bass Sarr confronts St. Francis' midfielder Kevin Smolyn during the Titans 2-2 tie.

CSUF men’s soccer draws tie against St. Francis University

Sunday night was repeated doses of deja vu disguised as a soccer game, as Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer

An electric vehicle spot, much like the one where the kicking incident occurred.

CSUF professor ordered to pay student for damaged car

John Short, Cal State Fullerton professor of theatre and dance, was ordered to pay a CSUF student $3,246.44 on