Historic season ends for Cal State Fullerton tennis with 4-2 loss to Hawaii in Big West Tournament Championship

In Sports, Tennis
Jadie Acidera swinging
(Courtesy of Matt Brown)

After battling through the entire season with the Big West Tournament in mind, Cal State Fullerton tennis brought the itself to its first Big West Championship match in program history but fell short of its dream,

After battling throughout the season with the Big West Tournament in mind, Cal State Fullerton tennis brought itself to its first Big West championship match in history but fell short of its dream, losing 4-2 to Hawaii.

“It was our goal to win the Big West and we were so close but everyone fought so hard,” Caisey Lee Emery told CSUF Sports Media.

The Titans finished their season with a 20-6 overall record and a 7-2 conference record.

“We beat our record from last year (19-4) but we don’t really think about that, but to accomplish that is really good considering we had a really young group,” Titans Head Coach Dianne Matias told CSUF Sports Media.

The doubles portion of the match was in Hawaii’s favor after CSUF duo Danielle Pham and Masako Makiba were swept 6-0 by Klara Pribylova and Nikola Dolakova. The second Titans duo competing in doubles, Genevieve Zeidan and Jadie Acidera, came up short and dropped their match 6-3.

Sarah Nuno and Karla Portalatin did not finish their match because Hawaii had already claimed the doubles point.

With only singles play left, the Titans still had the chance to make up for their shortcomings in doubles.

Pribylova defeated Luxi Meng in two sets 6-2 and 6-3. Portalatin earned her first victory over Marina Hruba with both sets going 6-2 after facing Hruba four times this season.

Portalatin ended her season with an eight-game winning streak while going 6-2 in the Big West as Meng went 3-4 in conference.

Both Zeidan and Acidera fell in their singles matches. Nuno overcame Dolakova in two sets and Emery won her three-set match over Michelle Pits.

With only two returning seniors guiding the team, Fullerton is continuing to pave the way for the growing program.

“I could not be more proud. This program is in the process of building something really special,” Athletic Director Jim Donovan told CSUF Sports Media.

As the season closes, the returning Titans are now fueled with motivation for the upcoming season and confident that when next season comes around it will be in their favor.

“We’ve been getting better and better, and I think next year we are going to have it,” Nuno told CSUF Sports Media. “Next year is going to be our year.”

losing 4-2 to Hawaii.

“We beat our record from last year, but we don’t really think about that but to accomplish that is really good considering we had a really young group,” Titans Head Coach Dianne Matias told CSUF Sports Media.

The doubles portion of the match was in the favor of Hawaii after duo Danielle Pham and Masako Makiba were swept 6-0 by Klara Pribylova and Nikola Dolakova. The second duo of Titans competing in doubles, Genevieve Zeidan and Jadie Acidera came up short and dropped their match 6-3.

With only singles play left, the Titans still had the chance to return from what occurred in doubles.

Pribylova defeated Luxi Meng in two sets 6-2, 6-3. Portalatin earned her first victory over Marina Hruba with both sets going 6-2 after facing her four times this season.

Portalatin ended her season with an eight-game winning streak while going 6-2 in the Big West while Meng went 3-4 in conference.

With only two returning seniors guiding the way, Fullerton is continuing to pave the way for the growing program.

“I could not be more proud of you. This program is in the process of building something really special,” Athletic Director Jim Donovan told CSUF Sports Media.

As the season closes, the returning Titans are now fueled with motivation for the upcoming season and they are sure to end it in their favor when it comes around.

“We’ve been getting better and better and I think next year we are going to have it,” Nuno told CSUF Sports Media. “Next year is going to be our year.”

Graph depicting full time equivalent students enrollment at different CSU's

Cal State Fullerton ranks lowest in funding per student in the CSU system

Cal State Fullerton receives the lowest funding per student in the CSU system and has the most enrolled students

Graph showing a decrease in crime statistics

CSUF releases Annual Security Report under Clery Act showing 2017 crime rates

Cal State Fullerton and several other local CSUs have released their 2017 Annual Security Report as mandated by the

Gayle Brunelle addresses her concerns with executive order 1100 at academic senate meeting thursday

General education requirements in CSU system could create faculty layoffs

Chancellor Timothy P. White issued an executive order in August 2017 requiring colleges in the CSU system to change