Cal State Fullerton tennis sweeps UC Irvine to improve to 4-1 in Big West conference play

In Sports, Tennis
Karla Portalatin swings at the ball
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton tennis recorded its first sweep since March 9 with a 7-0 victory over UC Irvine on Saturday, improving to 4-1 in Big West conference play.

By protecting the Titan Tennis Courts, the win brought the Titans overall record to 16-4 and their home record to 9-0.

Juniors Sarah Nuno and Karla Portalatin earned the first victory of the day for CSUF, improving their doubles record to 22-5 without any losses in conference.

Nuno and freshmen Jadie Acidera and Genevieve Zeidan all maintained their undefeated singles records in Big West conference play.

After Anteaters sophomore Stephanie Nguyen retired her match, Nuno claimed the first singles victory of the day 4-1.

Zeidan quickly finished off Irvine junior Stephanie Hazell 6-3, 6-2, claiming the second singles victory of the day. The match gave Zeidan her 27th win of the season and her fifth in conference play.

On court six, Acidera defeated sophomore Gillian Parker 6-2, 6-1. In the only contest to reach a third set, Titans junior Luxizi Meng took down Anteaters sophomore Yulin Chen 6-4, 6-7 and 10-5 to close the day.

Fullerton will have a week off before its final two home games of the season. It will face Big West opponents Cal Poly on Saturday, April 14 and UC Santa Barbara on Sunday, April 15.

Fullerton residents at a city council meeting

Fullerton residents voice concerns over CSUF fraternity house

Residents voiced their concerns to the Fullerton city council on Tuesday about living near a CSUF fraternity house. Many

Samantha Huerta exercises on a bench her feet on the ground and elbows on the bench with CSUF cross country.

Samantha Huerta represents CSUF cross country, named player of the week

Samantha Huerta, a cross-country runner in her third year at Cal State Fullerton, was named women’s cross-country athlete of

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,