Cal State Fullerton tennis sweeps UC Irvine to improve to 4-1 in Big West conference play

In Sports, Tennis
Karla Portalatin swings at the ball
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton tennis recorded its first sweep since March 9 with a 7-0 victory over UC Irvine on Saturday, improving to 4-1 in Big West conference play.

By protecting the Titan Tennis Courts, the win brought the Titans overall record to 16-4 and their home record to 9-0.

Juniors Sarah Nuno and Karla Portalatin earned the first victory of the day for CSUF, improving their doubles record to 22-5 without any losses in conference.

Nuno and freshmen Jadie Acidera and Genevieve Zeidan all maintained their undefeated singles records in Big West conference play.

After Anteaters sophomore Stephanie Nguyen retired her match, Nuno claimed the first singles victory of the day 4-1.

Zeidan quickly finished off Irvine junior Stephanie Hazell 6-3, 6-2, claiming the second singles victory of the day. The match gave Zeidan her 27th win of the season and her fifth in conference play.

On court six, Acidera defeated sophomore Gillian Parker 6-2, 6-1. In the only contest to reach a third set, Titans junior Luxizi Meng took down Anteaters sophomore Yulin Chen 6-4, 6-7 and 10-5 to close the day.

Fullerton will have a week off before its final two home games of the season. It will face Big West opponents Cal Poly on Saturday, April 14 and UC Santa Barbara on Sunday, April 15.

A spread of fresh vegetables: strawberries, peppers, carrots, cilantro, and an apple.

Devil’s Advocate: Significant change begins with vegetarianism

Maintaining a vegetarian diet is better for the environment, people’s health and a more ethical way to live, even

The empty lot of city land that could be the potential new home for the Pathways of Hope Keystone Project.

Pathways of Hope proposes Keystone project to city council to reduce homelessness in OC

Pathways of Hope, a local nonprofit organization, has created the Keystone project in an effort to combat homelessness specifically

Joanne Ferchland-Parella one of three finalists for associate vice president position

Joanne Ferchland-Parella is one of three finalists for the open position of associate vice president for University Advancement —