Cal State Fullerton tennis continues conference play against No. 7 UC Irvine

In Sports, Tennis

Cal State Fullerton tennis dominated in an eight-match win streak before it was snapped in an away game at San Diego State on March 23. The Titans managed to find their rhythm once again against Sacramento State and will host the UC Irvine Anteaters in a home conference match Saturday.

The Titans opened conference play in February and claimed victory in three of their four matches; their only loss came at the hands of Big West conference leader UC Davis.

Fullerton junior Sarah Nuno has remained undefeated in singles play during conference, while also dominating the court with her doubles partner Karla Portalatin.

Together, the duo holds a 21-5 overall record. In their most recent win against Sacramento State, Nuno and Portalatin dominated Maria Gonzalez and Carolina Chernyetsky 6-2 in route to the Titans 4-1 win.

Saturday’s match will be the first time the Titans face the Anteaters this season. Irvine has yet to claim a conference win as the No. 7 team in the conference with a 0-3 record.

In their last match against Sacramento State, duo Flora Amiri and Arianna Tilbury won, as well as Yulin Chen and Stephanie Nguyen, earning the Anteaters doubles points. Ultimately, the Anteaters couldn’t hold on to claim a win against the Hornets.

Irvine boasts an overall 8-11 record and found its last win against Bradley University on March 13. Tilbury was the key player leading the Anteaters to victory by clinching a win at No. 5 to claim a 4-2 win for Irvine.

CSUF will open up the match against the Anteaters on Saturday, April 7 at 11 a.m.