Karla Portalatin helps Cal State Fullerton tennis snap 23-match losing streak against Long Beach State

In Sports, Tennis
(Courtesy of Matt Brown)

Junior Karla Portalatin defeated Maren Helgo 7-5, 7-5, snapping Cal State Fullerton tennis 23-match losing streak to Long Beach State with a 4-2 victory on Friday.

The Titans finished the regular season with an 18-5 overall record and a 6-2 record in the Big West conference and will enter the Big West Tournament as the third seed.

A 6-1 win in doubles play gave Long Beach the early lead when Lena Pacholski and Sadaf Sadeghvaziri defeated Fullerton’s Masako Makiba and Danielle Pham.

However, the Titans earned their first win in doubles play after Fullerton’s lead duo of Sara Nuno and Portalatin snatched a 6-1 win over Natalia Munoz and Lalita Devarakonda.

Nuno and Portalatin, 24-6, have taken control in seven of their last 10 duels on the court.

Jadie Acidera and Genevieve Zeidan closed out their match 6-2 to give CSUF the point for doubles play, improving their record as a duo to 2-3.

With Fullerton and Long Beach breaking even in singles competition, the Titans were able to secure another point after Portalatin locked in a 7-5 victory in her set.

The last time CSUF recorded 18 wins before the start of the Big West Tournament was in the 2017 season, where it rallied all the way to the semifinals for the first time in program history.

However, the Titans fell short in the match to the eventual Big West champions, Hawaii.

Fullerton’s victory over Long Beach gave it a bye to the second round of the tournament and will take the courts on Friday, April 27 against No. 6 seed Cal State Northridge.

The protagonist in Suspiria, Susie, uses hypnosis to make her way into a ballet school.

Review: New thriller ‘Suspiria’ isn’t your typical ballet film

Thom Yorke of Radiohead debuts in his first soundtrack for director Luca Guadagnino’s remake of 'Suspiria' Although this film

Veterans Resource Center’s cuts the ribbon to a new location at their grand opening.

Veterans Resource Center cuts the ribbon to new location

The transition from the military to school wasn’t easy for Student Veterans Association President Amy Thrunson, but with Cal

Front doors of the Hello Kitty Cafe.

The Hello Kitty Cafe brings the Irvine Spectrum to life

Sanrio characters and the smell of baked goods fill the Hello Kitty Grand Cafe, a new feature at the