CSU Chancellor Timothy White decides not to increase tuition for 2018-2019 school year

In News, State News, Top Stories
A row of students with tape over their mouths and signs march in front of the Governor's Mansion
(Diane Ortiz / Daily Titan)

The CSU system announced Friday that it will not increase tuition for the 2018-2019 school year.

CSU Chancellor Timothy P. White said the decision was in the best interest for the state and emphasized that his main concern is the success of all students.

“California’s students and their families should not be saddled with additional financial burden to attain public higher education,” White said in the press release.

This announcement comes after faculty and students protested Gov. Jerry Brown’s CSU budget and a possible tuition increase on April 4 in Sacramento.

Elizabeth Chapin, CSU manager of public affairs, said the decision was made due to California’s strong economy and the large amount of legislative support for sufficient funding of the CSU.

White and campus presidents and leaders are continuously working with policymakers to prioritize CSU and public education for next year’s budget, according to the press release.

“CSU students, faculty, staff and leaders have made a strong case for additional funding — and they are being heard,” said Anthony Rendon, California state assembly speaker, in the press release.

Toni Atkins, California state Senate president pro tempore, also pledged support to, “continue to lower barriers and reduce the cost of quality higher education for all students.”

In November, the CSU was requested a budget increase of $263 million. Brown only allocated $92.1 million to the university system in his initial budget proposal for the 2018-2019 school year, leaving it $170.9 million short.

The CSU requested this funding for programs such as the Graduation Initiative 2025, enrollment growth, obligatory increases for employee compensation, health care and retirement costs, according to the press release.

In light of the decision not to increase tuition, White warned in his statement to the CSU community that there could be consequences if state funding falls short of university needs, which may cause a reevaluation of campus staffing levels, programs and services.

“We all want students to have the clearest and most life-changing path to graduation. We all want high-quality degrees to meet the needs of the state’s economy and society. We all want faculty and staff to be fairly compensated. These shared priorities are shared responsibilities for California,” said White in his statement.

Chapin said the future of the CSU is entirely in the hands of lawmakers, so until the final budget is released in June the main goal is advocating for the additional $170.9 million.

A tan, striped, speckled rock against a black sky spattered with stars ponders the question ...What am I?

Pluto should still be considered a planet

Pluto was considered a planet until 2006, when the International Astronomical Union changed the definition of a planet and

Junior ROTC members held all fifty state flags around Downtown Fullerton as a part of the Fullerton Veterans Day Parade and Ceremony.

City honors veterans at Fullerton Veterans Day parade

The 50 state flags surrounded Hillcrest Park on Monday, as crowds of men and women in military uniform gathered

Protestors held signs in front of the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum as part of the Nobody is Above the Law protests, seeking to protect the Mueller investigations into Trump.

Protestors call for protection of Mueller investigation

Protestors held signs and chanted, “Two, four, six, eight, Mueller must investigate,” in front of the Richard Nixon Presidential