CSUF alumnus Jordan Poblete helps teenagers find success after starting DisneyExaminer

In Features, Lifestyle
Jordie Poblete sits for a portrait of himself.
(Priscilla Carcido / Daily Titan)

Melody and Daniel Poblete didn’t know that giving their son Jordan “Jordie” Poblete a Mickey Mouse stuffed toy as a baby would lead to a life dedicated to Disney.

With a Cal State Fullerton degree in business administration and a Forbes 30 Under 30 nomination, 26-year-old Jordie Poblete, a CSUF alumnus, admitted to still getting choked up when he watches “Coco.”

Poblete and a friend started a Tumblr blog dedicated to Disney called DisneyExaminer. The blog was intended to be an inside look at the Disneyland theme park through the eyes of two regulars with topics like how to get free water and how to maximize use of a fast-pass ticket.

Over the course of its first few years, that’s all the blog was. Then, during a drive to a friend’s graduation ceremony in 2010, everything about the publication and Poblete’s future changed.

“When we got that first call a few years later about attending the grand opening of Toy Story Midway Mania! — and this is coming from the official public relations department at the Disneyland resort — that very much signaled in my head that we had something really cool,” Poblete said.

In a voicemail he received from a Disney representative, Poblete was offered the opportunity to partner and work with Disney, the company he’d admired for years.

Poblete regards that call as the catalyst for his maturity. He realized there would be very big and important eyes on the DisneyExaminer soon. Poblete said his success forced him to learn how to do things like talk to PR wizards and write quality editorial content quickly.

DisneyExaminer transformed from a quick tips publication to being part of the press box at events like the opening of the Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: BREAKOUT and being involved in the press release for “Cars 3.” Poblete has done everything, from being on red carpets and flown to Shanghai Disney to interviewing Johnny Depp and George Clooney.

To infinite #boomerangs and beyond! #PixarFest #Disneyland @DisneyExaminer

A post shared by Jordie Poblete (@jordiepoblete) on

Despite all this, Poblete said it would be a mistake to call him the “Disney Guy.”

When Poblete isn’t sitting in meetings or visiting the latest Disney park attraction, he is an avid member of the Calvary Presbyterian Church in Wilmington. As a youth leader, he works with high schoolers to help build their faith and find their voice.

Genesis Auste is an associate pastor at the church. The two first met in 2006, but it wasn’t until four years ago that Auste developed a friendship with Poblete.

He’s watched Poblete be a leader to the younger members by organizing church concerts and casual get-togethers at malls. Auste admires Poblete’s dedication to the church in the middle of his hectic life, but it’s Poblete’s tenacity for life that inspires Auste.

“Every time you talk to him, it’s like something new that he wants to try out. He has all these ideas, so I guess he’s like Walt Disney. He’s always had this dream,” Auste said.

Poblete also remains active on campus as a member of the CSUF Alumni Association Board of Directors. Wanting to give back to the university that he said gave him so much, he jumped on the opportunity to be part of the association.

“I think that (Poblete) is a good demonstration that leadership doesn’t have to be loud,” said Dianna Fisher, the executive director of the CSUF Alumni Engagement.

Fisher said with an alumni board that draws outspoken and strong voices, Poblete’s quiet and observant one adds depth.

“He might not be part of the chatter, so that when he does say something or offer suggestions or ideas, it’s very well thought-out, and people pay attention to it,” Fisher said.

In 2015, Poblete became a Forbes 30 Under 30 nominee. The magazine’s annual list looks at the young people making waves in categories like media, retail and ecommerce, and consumer technology.

Whether it’s helping out Disneyland visitors with tips and tricks in the early days of DisneyExaminer or talking to CSUF students about their goals and futures as a part of the Alumni Association, Poblete’s never needed a fancy title to make an impact.

He doesn’t know where that Mickey Mouse stuffed toy from his childhood is anymore, but he knows it did its job.

Growing up as an only child can get pretty lonely, but Mickey Mouse provided that companionship for Poblete. Twenty-six years later, he’s trying to be that friend for others.

“I’ve had my fair share of successes, and now it’s just trying to help others find their success too,” Poblete said.

Kristin Orloff reads from her book American Wings, Iranian Roots in the Pollak Library on Wednesday evening

Author Kristin Orloff and Reza Abedi of biography ‘American Wings, Iranian Roots’ come to CSUF to share the story of the Iranian defector

CSUF alumna Kristin Orloff said her life was changed after hearing the story of Reza Abedi, a gold-medal winning

Leo Torrez and Caleb Gibson standing next to each other smiling for 'The Importance of Being Earnest' by CSUF

CSUF Theater Review: ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ delightfully revisits Oscar Wilde’s classic

CSUF’s “The Importance of Being Earnest” lets audiences indulge in Oscar Wilde’s classic, serving up sunny melodrama and mishaps,

Flags are in the background. A silhouette of a soldier faces a person protesting.

OPINION: Israel’s response to weekly border protests was justified

As Israel approaches its 70 years of independence as a democratic Jewish state, it faces a weekly threat from