CSUF Associated Students conducts internal investigation of meetings deemed illegal by legal expert

In News, Top Stories
Associated Students, Inc. president and vice president candidates speak at the Sports Clubs Inter-Club Council meeting on March 9, 2018.
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

CSUF Associated Students is conducting an internal investigation for its Elections Judicial Council’s closed-door meetings held on March 7, said Dave Edwards, executive director of ASI.

The council failed to post agendas as required by the state’s Gloria Romero Open Meetings Act, which regulates student government.

During the closed meetings, the council disqualified ASI presidential and vice presidential candidates Celine Moubayed and Colin Eacobellis for sending a mass campaign email deemed in violation of ASI campaign bylaws.

We can clearly say they violated the law by not posting notice of agenda,” said Mike Hiestand, attorney and senior legal consultant for the Student Press Law Center.

Officials are briefed on ASI’s bylaws and California open meeting laws during a summer training program, Edwards said. The bylaws require ASI officials to adhere to the Gloria Romero Open Meetings Act.

“I think we were just encouraged to look at (the bylaws) ourselves,” said Moubayed, who serves as ASI chief communications officer, of her experience with ASI summer training.

The investigation is expected to conclude by April 11.

CSUF Outside Hitter Gabrielle Barcelos set ups a spike attempt for her teammate against Cal Poly SLO, Sept. 21.

CSUF volleyball loses to UC Santa Barbara, drops eighth-straight game

CSUF volleyball was aced 10 times on the way to a three-set loss against UC Santa Barbara in Titan

CSUF's forward Bass Sarr confronts St. Francis' midfielder Kevin Smolyn during the Titans 2-2 tie.

CSUF men’s soccer draws tie against St. Francis University

Sunday night had repeated doses of deja vu disguised as a soccer game, as Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer

An electric vehicle spot, much like the one where the kicking incident occurred.

CSUF professor ordered to pay student for damaged car

John Short, Cal State Fullerton professor of theatre and dance, was ordered to pay a CSUF student $3,246.44 on