CSUF Associated Students conducts internal investigation of meetings deemed illegal by legal expert

In News, Top Stories
Associated Students, Inc. president and vice president candidates speak at the Sports Clubs Inter-Club Council meeting on March 9, 2018.
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

CSUF Associated Students is conducting an internal investigation for its Elections Judicial Council’s closed-door meetings held on March 7, said Dave Edwards, executive director of ASI.

The council failed to post agendas as required by the state’s Gloria Romero Open Meetings Act, which regulates student government.

During the closed meetings, the council disqualified ASI presidential and vice presidential candidates Celine Moubayed and Colin Eacobellis for sending a mass campaign email deemed in violation of ASI campaign bylaws.

We can clearly say they violated the law by not posting notice of agenda,” said Mike Hiestand, attorney and senior legal consultant for the Student Press Law Center.

Officials are briefed on ASI’s bylaws and California open meeting laws during a summer training program, Edwards said. The bylaws require ASI officials to adhere to the Gloria Romero Open Meetings Act.

“I think we were just encouraged to look at (the bylaws) ourselves,” said Moubayed, who serves as ASI chief communications officer, of her experience with ASI summer training.

The investigation is expected to conclude by April 11.

Exterior shot of the CSUF emblem

Cal State Universities work to improve sustainability efforts

Sustainability is becoming more important to all Cal State Universities as each university has agreed to comply with specific

Where CSUF’s water comes from and how it’s maintained

Cal State Fullerton’s water supply comes from the city of Fullerton, which gets its water from the Metropolitan Water

Cal State Fullerton’s commuter culture negatively impacts air quality on campus

Commuter behavior poses a threat to Cal State Fullerton’s ability to meet air quality pollution standards set by the