CSUF baseball brings six-game winning streak into series against San Diego State

In Baseball, Sports
Titans Colton Eastman in position to throw a pitch.
(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

CSUF baseball will continue its attempts to ascend the Big West standings when the Titans take on San Diego State in a nonconference matchup at Tony Gwynn Stadium starting Friday.

“We’ve been climbing Mount Everest since the first game. We were 1-7,” Vanderhook said.

The Aztecs have lost three of their last four games with their most recent defeat coming in Tuesday’s game against UC Irvine. The Titans are on a six-game winning streak after a 3-2 win Tuesday against Pepperdine.

Since their 1-7 start, the Titans are 15-8 with Tuesday’s victory giving them a winning record for the first time this season.

Fullerton has struggled away from Goodwin Field, by going 6-8 on the road. The Aztecs sit at 21-12 overall, and 11-6 at home.

Pitching will be key for both teams. The Aztecs feature a strong pitching staff, holding the lowest ERA in the Mountain West Conference (3.54).

CSUF’s pitching staff also maintains the lowest ERA in the Big West (3.28).

San Diego State pitcher Garrett Hill has the third-lowest ERA in the Mountain West Conference (1.47) and also leads the conference with six wins.

During its winning streak, CSUF has outscored opponents 28-17. One reason for its success has been pitcher Colton Eastman.

Eastman has been almost unhittable in his last two starts, winning both games while pitching 17 innings, throwing 15 strikeouts while giving up no earned runs and only three hits.

Heading into this weekend the Titans are confident they can find success if they play at the level they’ve held over the last six games.

“We know when we’re at our best, it’s hard to beat us, so we’ll just keep playing our best,” said Titans right fielder Ruben Cardenas.

The Titans play against San Diego State on Friday and Saturday with the first two games starting at 6:00 p.m. and the series finale at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.