CSUF baseball drops series against San Diego State with 9-6 loss in final game

In Baseball, Sports, Top Stories
Dillon Brown pitching
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

Despite creating two multi-run innings, CSUF baseball failed to overcome the six-run third inning from San Diego State and fell 9-6 on the road.

Fullerton now holds a .500 record (17-17) and suffered its fourth road-series defeat of the season.

“We did some good things this weekend. I thought we showed a lot of fight, but we need to be more consistent in what we do in all three phases,” Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook told CSUF Sports Media.

The Aztecs scored all of their runs in the first three innings. They were able to take the lead in the third with a home run from shortstop David Hensley, three more hits and three walks from Titans pitchers Andrew Quezada and Tanner Bibee, one of which brought right fielder Chase Calabuig home.

In his second game back after missing 14 with a broken hand, outfielder Chris Prescott earned his second home run of the season with a three-run bomb in the fourth inning, cutting the deficit to four.

Aztecs pitcher Christian Winston walked Jace Chamberlin, allowing right fielder Ruben Cardenas to score in the fifth inning. However, that would be CSUF’s last run.

Center fielder Mitchell Berryhill recorded his second straight three-hit performance Sunday. He finished the series with eight hits, three RBIs and five runs.

“It’s nice being able to finally be in a groove at the dish,” Berryhill told CSUF Sports Media. “I saw the ball really well this weekend and I think offensively, as a whole, we’re really starting to pick things up.”

Second baseman Hank LoForte had a productive weekend from the plate, recording eight hits, three RBIs and three runs.

Vanderhook threw six pitchers Sunday. None of them tossed more than 2.1 innings and Quezada picked up the loss for the contest.

Although he was pleased with his performance, Berryhill said he didn’t accomplish his goal, which was to win the series. Vanderhook believes the Titans have a lot to improve before they face the University of San Diego on Tuesday, April 17.

“We’re going to keep working to get better we’re ready for San Diego on Tuesday and Hawaii this weekend,” Vanderhook told CSUF Sports Media.

Leo Torrez and Caleb Gibson standing next to each other smiling for 'The Importance of Being Earnest' by CSUF

CSUF Theater Review: ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ delightfully revisits Oscar Wilde’s classic

CSUF’s “The Importance of Being Earnest” lets audiences indulge in Oscar Wilde’s classic, serving up sunny melodrama and mishaps,

Flags are in the background. A silhouette of a soldier faces a person protesting.

OPINION: Israel’s response to weekly border protests was justified

As Israel approaches its 70 years of independence as a democratic Jewish state, it faces a weekly threat from

CSUF musician and student Apollo Hill poses for a portrait on campus.

CSUF student and musician Apollo Hill hopes to lift up Asian-Americans in the music industry

Hip-hop singer and Cal State Fullerton student Paolo Ombao, better known by his stage name Apollo Hill, said it’s